real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - Chernobyl & Pripyat April 2014 (The collective 'Pics Here' Thread) | European and International Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) Chernobyl & Pripyat April 2014 (The collective 'Pics Here' Thread)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
Brilliant photos there... really wish i could get myself along sometime. Thanks for posting those Wevs... really enjoyed looking through them. :)

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Brilliant photos there... really wish i could get myself along sometime. Thanks for posting those Wevs... really enjoyed looking through them. :)

There are more on that blog link of mine,as much as i enjoy posting reports i really didnt have the energy to try and do a multi thread and put everything in order etc..way too much effort for something everyones seen many times

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
There are more on that blog link of mine,as much as i enjoy posting reports i really didnt have the energy to try and do a multi thread and put everything in order etc..way too much effort for something everyones seen many times

cheers, i'll check your blog link out. TBH I havent seen that many chernobyl reports... is this some kind of "annual" thing where people go or something.. cos the last reports i looked at is probably going back to 2013.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
cheers, i'll check your blog link out. TBH I havent seen that many chernobyl reports... is this some kind of "annual" thing where people go or something.. cos the last reports i looked at is probably going back to 2013.

Think these guys organise 2 trips a year..they did a bang up job,food was sorted decent nights kip to be had and we shot guns..cant say fairer than that

bassboyjoe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Chernobyl and Pripyat - Ukraine - January 2014

After reading Wevsky's excellent report from his very recent trip it prompted me to pop a few pics up here from my trip. When I went there was about a foot of snow and it hit -40 degrees C at one point! Makes me cold just thinking about it! Looks like we had different places that we went to so there should be a good amount of variation between the two reports. If you have any questions, please ask away and I'll do my best to answer them! The full set of photos are on my flickr here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/jpsimages/sets/72157640420593386/

History

The Chernobyl disaster was a catastrophic nuclear accident that occurred on 26 April 1986 at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in Ukraine which was under the direct jurisdiction of the central authorities of the Soviet Union. An explosion and fire released large quantities of radioactive particles into the atmosphere, which spread over much of the western USSR and Europe.

The Chernobyl disaster is the worst nuclear power plant accident in history in terms of cost and resulting deaths, and is one of only two classified as a level 7 event (the maximum classification) on the International Nuclear Event Scale (the other being the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster in 2011). The battle to contain the contamination and avert a greater catastrophe ultimately involved over 500,000 workers and cost an estimated 18 billion rubles. 31 people died during the accident itself, and long-term effects such as cancers and deformities are still being accounted for.

Also, the nearby city of Pripyat, named for the nearby Pripyat River, Pripyat was founded on 4 February 1970, the ninth nuclear city in the Soviet Union, for the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant. It was officially proclaimed a city in 1979, and had grown to a population of 49,360 before being evacuated a few days after the 26 April 1986 Chernobyl disaster.

The photos

782B4688_zps100932b5.jpg

A memorial for the people who fought the original fire. They did not understand the severity of the radioactive dust, and they did not survive. There is an inscription that reads 'To those who saved the world'.

782B4704_zps5c1f72ae.jpg

Inside one of the kindergartens a forgotton toy doll rots.

782B4710_zps2074dfec.jpg

A childs lost show remains inside

782B4728_zps91fd1d37.jpg

The coat hooks still have the childrens personalised pictures above to identify each hook

782B4735_zps675a3ea4.jpg

Bunk beds in the Kindergarten

782B4749_zpsa3b4dbb8.jpg

The sarcophagus under construction that will be rolled over the reacter to replace the crumbling sheath in place already.

782B4754_zps492371bb.jpg

Reactor number 4. The radiation levels in comparison to other locations were through the roof here (I made a funny)

782B4781_zpsd70907bf.jpg

Building of culture in Pripyat

782B4810_zps3c9ad6ec.jpg

The infamous ferris wheel!

782B4835_zpseea81af0.jpg

I liked how the light fell on this.

782B4878_zps4bdf6902.jpg

School corridor

782B4884_zpse6910649.jpg

There are a multitude of books left everwhere!

782B4948_zps8ddabbaf.jpg

It's not a report for Pripyat unless the famous Call of Duty pool is included. It's a bit of a poo shot, but I didn't have my wide angle at that point :(

782B4978_zpsaabf2761.jpg

Buildings around Duga-3

782B5006_zpsba3eec61.jpg

Loads of gas masks everywhere!

782B5007_zps5fb50fde.jpg

It is explicitly forbidden to take photos of the soldiers guarding the exclusion zone, but we asked really nicely, and they were happy to pose for us!

782B5024_zpsc75ca6a3.jpg

Inside one of the cooling towers for the plant

782B5035_zps99605248.jpg

Ladder inside the cooling tower

782B5068_zps0136f7a6.jpg

Remains of a beautiful stained glass window in Cafe Pripyat

782B5138_zpsd2c50935.jpg

Sunset inside the building of culture

782B5160_zps71b667dc.jpg

Inside the building of culture

782B5241-2_zpsef8a2c98.jpg

On top of the tallest apartment building. You can see the reactor and sarcophagus a couple of miles away!

782B5265_zps9de1ead8.jpg

What a typical apartment looks like now. The residents were briefly allowed back for a day to collect anything they may want to keep as they were told they would not be allowed to return to live there ever again.

Last edited:

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Top stuff as always :)

Never tire of these images from this area

One place i Deffo" want to see when i get use of my arm, roll on 2015

Ric

темний Прип'ять
28DL Full Member
Re: Chernobyl and Pripyat - Ukraine - January 2014

After reading Wevsky's excellent report from his very recent trip it prompted me to pop a few pics up here from my trip. When I went there was about a foot of snow and it hit -40 degrees C at one point! Makes me cold just thinking about it! Looks like we had different places that we went to so there should be a good amount of variation between the two reports. If you have any questions, please ask away and I'll do my best to answer them!

I know your post isn't from the same trip, but i've bundled it here to avoid confusion, nice pics, the snow gives the place a different look)

Muttley

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great pics both of you.

That snow gave some nice light on yours BBJ.

Wevs - how did the situation in Ukraine affect the trip? All straightforward?

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Muttley ,the problems out there didnt affect us in any way im glad to say

bassboyjoe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Chernobyl and Pripyat - Ukraine - January 2014

I know your post isn't from the same trip, but i've bundled it here to avoid confusion, nice pics, the snow gives the place a different look)

Proper confused me for a minute. Didn't think I had posted as a reply aha

Don't want to steal the limelight!

Last edited: