real time web analytics
Report - - Chernobyl - Pripyat Hospital & Tower block, May16 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Chernobyl - Pripyat Hospital & Tower block, May16

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
Report 4 from our epic trip to Chernobyl

The hospital was one of my favourite buildings of the trip. The five storey building was crammed with furniture & hospital equipment, and every floor was filled with surgeries, operating theatres and wards. I started at the top, and worked my way down, and spent a bit of time looking round the maternity unit. Due to Pripyat’s young population, a lot of babies were born here. The room of empty rusting cribs was a sad scene. Radiation is not a problem in the buildings generally; our guide warned us the basement stored clothing from the fireman who put out the explosion in the power plant in 1986, and was highly radioactive. Indeed, a small offcut of a fireman’s jacket on the reception desk made the giger counter very unhappy.

The next morning, we climbed Pripyat’s tallest apartment block, with stunning views of the forest and remains of the town. Including the plant room, I reckon around 18 stories – a mission to climb without lifts, but worth it for the views. The apartments were small nearly identical flats with varying remains of furniture, and balcony views. Here was a glimpse of family life, just as they fled the disaster.

Finally the riverside café, one of a number of smaller sites like the cinema we visited.

The history is well documented on the net. In summary:

Pripyat was a purpose built city for Chernobyl nuclear power plant (pop nearly 50,000). Founded in 1970, the whole city was evacuated after The Chernobyl disaster happened in April 1986, in Ukraine, former USSR.

The city had been large enough for 20 schools for various ages, a hospital, numerous sports facilities, a fairground, fire & police station, shops and many housing blocks.

An explosion & fire released large quanties of radioactive particles into the atmosphere over current day Ukraine & Belarus. It was the worst nuclear disaster in history. It is one of only two level 7 events (the other being Fukushima in 2011.) To contain the contamination cost a lot money and lives. Today Pripyat remains uninhabited.

THE HOSPITAL

The waiting room
IMG_1700.jpg

operating theatres
IMG_1702.jpg

IMG_1704.jpg

IMG_1708.jpg

IMG_1710.jpg

Maternity wards
IMG_1716.jpg

IMG_1718.jpg

IMG_1720.jpg

IMG_1721.jpg

Function Room; with decaying piano
IMG_1725.jpg

IMG_1728.jpg

THE 18 STOREY APARTMENT BLOCK

IMG_1739.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1745.jpg

IMG_1761.jpg

IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1772.jpg

IMG_1754.jpg

IMG_1779.jpg

a glimpse inside the lives of the residents moments before the evacuation
IMG_1803.jpg

possibly children's bedroom
IMG_1800.jpg

RIVERSIDE CAFE
IMG_1694.jpg

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Thanks, TLR :)
It was a pleasure to explore with you :)
And thanks for your help with my camera issues in Kiev.

My knees are still hurting from that million story building we climbed :D

No problem, it was an excellent trip :thumb I have a couple of nice scars on my back to remember the trip by!

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Cool photos, We did that rooftop when we went, what a view and how surreal is it to stand up there and see the reactor on the distance....brilliant photatoes Mr Wombat :)

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
Cool photos, We did that rooftop when we went, what a view and how surreal is it to stand up there and see the reactor on the distance....brilliant photatoes Mr Wombat :)

Thanks uncle Kwan :)
Outstanding view, well worth the climb!
If i ever get to go back, it would be nice to climb some of the tower blocks