real time web analytics
Report - - Chernobyl, Zone & Pripyat Sept 2010 - Part 1 - Power Plant | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Chernobyl, Zone & Pripyat Sept 2010 - Part 1 - Power Plant

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ric

темний Прип'ять
28DL Full Member
Hi Guys, Heres my 2nd report!

Here are the pics of my visit to the Exclusion zone around Chernobyl power plant and Pripyat itself.

The whole visit was such an experience for me, I'm looking to plan another visit soon.

The difference to my visit is that, unlike all the other company's doing visits to the zone, i had around 2 full days in the Zone around Pripyat and Chernobyl to explore and visit.

Hopefully this set of pictures will show the area well and provide inspiration for others who may want to go to the area!

Check my thread in rumors etc for information on the trips

Now for the pics, ill have do these threads in different posts as theirs quite a few images!

Post 1 - Chernobyl Power Plant:

DSC_0003.jpg

Sunrise in Slavutych (where we were staying - we would get the train with the workers to the Chernobyl plant) - There are over 2000 people still working at the plant today.

DSC_0008.jpg

Dosimeter machines, these need to be used whenever you leave the Zone to measure for residual radiation which you may have picked up during your visit.

These machines are a formality more than anything, our guide said that if you don't pass the check, they have an engineer come to fix the machine, Ha.

DSC_0009.jpg

Corridor to the Power plant area where our bus* (for getting around was awaiting)

*you can still not legally roam around the exclusion Zone without a guide (or a power plant pass), Pripyat itself is within a military checkpoint aswell as a fence border, if you are caught out side these areas you can be shot on sight.

Boo.

DSC_0019.jpg

Reactor 4, which exploded on 26th April 1986 Chernobyl disaster - Wikipedia

DSC_0013.jpg

Monument to remember those that died in the explosion and the coming weeks

DSC_0366.jpg

Radiation levels in front of the Reactor, 7.5 uSV is considered a safe amount, so well within levels, the only areas which jumped to around 17 uSV where while driving through the red forest

DSC_0373.jpg

Radiation levels around the corner from the reactor past the river

DSC_0351.jpg

Leaving Reactor 4

DSC_0336.jpg

Reactor number 5 - this was in construction in 1986 at the time of the explosion, it was never finished and is in the condition it was left in 1986

Next, part 2 - Chernobyl Town

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details