real time web analytics
Question - - Chester Tunnels | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Chester Tunnels

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

davidenco

28DL Member
28DL Member
I’ve heard about the existence of tunnels in Chester but cannot find any information about them online. A friend who used to work in a pub in Chester has told me a lot of the pubs have basements, and within the basement is a door that leads into the tunnel. He doesn’t work there now unfortunately.

A few years ago, the wife and I went down to the River Dee in Chester and stumbled upon the bricked off bunker under the university. Another couple was there who told us there is a tunnel that runs from Eaton Hall to Mickle Trafford but again nothing online.

Any ideas?

paulpowers

Massive Member
Regular User
A lot of tunnel rumours are just urban myths but then again occasionally one turns up that's legit
Everyone claims there's a tunnel from the local hall, usually to a church or other large building.
People seem to claim pubs have tunnels quite a lot but it's always a friend of a friend who can't be pinned down.

Your best bet is to search on google and look at the geography, a lot of large tunnels will have features which make them easy to see

There's nothing sweeter than finding a new spot, it's far better than visiting some shitty derp hospital which everyone has visited (Looking at you Denbigh)

1541254611342.png

Alley

Conspicuous Loiterer
Regular User
I don't know much about Chester except that it has a lot of soft, red sandstone, loads of rivers/streams, old mills. I would say there are absolutely tunnels of some sort in that town. If there's nothing online, maybe you can be the one to rediscover them.

http://www.deeside.com/welsh-water-to-install-two-1km-pipes-beneath-river-dee/
"Two large pipes each measuring one kilometre could be installed beneath the Dee Estuary to ensure water supply to the area can continue.
Welsh Water is planning to put in two new water mains to cross the estuary in a straight line from a field on Dock Road in Connah’s Quay to the Tata Steel site in Shotton.
The proposed scheme would replace existing mains, one made out of steel and one out of glass reinforced plastic (GRP), which currently run underneath it via a 100-year-old tunnel."

http://chester.westcheshiregrowth.c.../2016/01/Chester-Waterways-Strategy-FINAL.pdf
"Create stronger link with Queens Promenade, rediscover World War II Tunnel entrances, create circuits for visitors"

davidenco

28DL Member
28DL Member
This is really interesting. Even more so because around where that line crosses the Dee, which I’m guessing is where the tunnel is, there’s a funny looking building surrounded by a metal fence. There’s another building of the same description on the other side of the Dee.

Check it out: https://heritagephotoarchive.co.uk/p852749727/h4e25df90

No idea what the funnel on top is for.

Could this be an access shaft to the tunnel?

majorleek

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Most of the tunnels have been explored by DEVA as most are connected to roman history. However there are tunnels from an old government building that is now closed off.

High Vis

28DL Member
28DL Member
This is really interesting. Even more so because around where that line crosses the Dee, which I’m guessing is where the tunnel is, there’s a funny looking building surrounded by a metal fence. There’s another building of the same description on the other side of the Dee.

Check it out: https://heritagephotoarchive.co.uk/p852749727/h4e25df90

No idea what the funnel on top is for.

Could this be an access shaft to the tunnel?
I've had a look on the other side of the river today and the same structure is there too with no railings around it. This has to be a tunnel under the River Dee and currently lies unexplored - anyone interested in a bit of a mission? The funnel on top is purely for ventilation

MattyBRapsPA

28DL Member
28DL Member
I've had a look on the other side of the river today and the same structure is there too with no railings around it. This has to be a tunnel under the River Dee and currently lies unexplored - anyone interested in a bit of a mission? The funnel on top is purely for ventilation
You still down for exploring this? Brought up in Chester so know the area well

Oswaldo Mobray

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Any update on this? I'm game for a mission

subterim

28DL Member
28DL Member
We got into the tunnels under the western command headquarters quite a few years ago, but shortly afterwards they received some publicity and were quickly bricked up. all I have is some very shoddy mobile phone footage. have heard rumors of tunnels under the castle car park, and under watergate st from stanly palace towards the water gate.

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Im sure of all places Chester must surely have tunnels everywhere but as paulpowers said, its a common rumour in any city.
There's some in my local town im trying to get into. Love this side of urbex.

bikebouy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You still down for exploring this? Brought up in Chester so know the area well
Its a foot tunnel that linked the steelworks with the wagon repairers and siding on the deeside side where all the factory units are now, it may well be floded as its below water level of the river.

bikebouy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
We got into the tunnels under the western command headquarters quite a few years ago, but shortly afterwards they received some publicity and were quickly bricked up. all I have is some very shoddy mobile phone footage. have heard rumors of tunnels under the castle car park, and under watergate st from stanly palace towards the water gate.
There is a large sewer that runs from Northgate st under the ring road and down watergate street and alongside the car park on watergate street, it collapsed a few years ago and required a large scale rebuilding, a new wastewater sewer is planned and due to start digging/tunneling down the ring road next week from the old bus station site to the river dee to bypass this sewer, traffic will be one way for 12 months.

Who has read this thread (Total: 340) View details