Web
Analytics
Lead or Rumour info - - Chetwynd Barracks- Nottingham | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Lead or Rumour info - Chetwynd Barracks- Nottingham

sam93913

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Been reading up on this site heard from a lot of local people there are a massive set of tunnels under the site.. possibly running to nearby towns.. scheduled for closure in 2024 has anyone ever heard anything or have any further leads on any tunnel entrances... they must be there they are mentioned on two set of minuets for meetings taken for the local base neighbourhood forum... hopefully there’s something amazing down there for someone to discover

sam93913

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
One describes a entrance being close to the officers mess don’t know where on the site it’s located though :(

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
If I had a pound every time I'd heard some wild claim about tunnels underneath somewhere I'd probably be about fifty quid up by now.

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
If I had a pound every time I'd heard some wild claim about tunnels underneath somewhere I'd probably be about fifty quid up by now.
Yeah - we get this in Sheffield too. The biggest urban myth is that there is a tunnel system from the Castle Manor down to castle market. However, the extensive tunnel system at Welbeck manor is very much real!

withindelain

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So urban stories go there are tunnels all under Grantham which were used for the MARco ammunition factory. I know from family members that some of MARco's work in the 70s was underground but the tunnels under the town are wildly blown out of proportion. I even was told once that there was an entrance to them in the service bay of the local KWIK-FIT.

sam93913

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So urban stories go there are tunnels all under Grantham which were used for the MARco ammunition factory. I know from family members that some of MARco's work in the 70s was underground but the tunnels under the town are wildly blown out of proportion. I even was told once that there was an entrance to them in the service bay of the local KWIK-FIT.
Thanks ha ha ha

Snowhead

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The Barracks were built on the site of the original 1st World War shell filling factory, which like most other shell filling factories had a bit of a mishap.
Chilwell Ordnance depot was built later and has mostly been redeveloped.
No doubt there would have been underground air raid shelters and certainly underground service ducts for pipework and cables under all of the Barracks and Depot site especially as the Depot had it's own railway.
Anything under the old Depot site would have been filled during redevelopment.
The Barracks are still a live millitary site so you won't be getting in there.

But tunnels to towns like Beeston and Long Eaton, extremely unlikely, there would be no point.
I'd ask my ex-wifes uncle who used to work in the depot, but he's been dead for 30 years..

From the linked document by the O.P

Stephen showed the group a photo of the Emergency underground exit taken from the Sergeants mess that we were advised was not part of the tunnels.The group still want to pursue more information aboutthetunnels for the potential they could bring to the site.

Googling even suggests there are / were Nuclear weapons on the site
Someone needs to wake up and smell the coffee.