Web
Analytics
Lead or Rumour info - - Chetwynd Barracks- Nottingham | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Lead or Rumour info - Chetwynd Barracks- Nottingham

sam93913

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Been reading up on this site heard from a lot of local people there are a massive set of tunnels under the site.. possibly running to nearby towns.. scheduled for closure in 2024 has anyone ever heard anything or have any further leads on any tunnel entrances... they must be there they are mentioned on two set of minuets for meetings taken for the local base neighbourhood forum... hopefully there’s something amazing down there for someone to discover

sam93913

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
One describes a entrance being close to the officers mess don’t know where on the site it’s located though :(

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
Regular User
heard from a lot of local people there are a massive set of tunnels under the site.
They're mistaken. There's the usual air raid shelters that get exaggerated by people who saw them when they were kids, but nothing more.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
If I had a pound every time I'd heard some wild claim about tunnels underneath somewhere I'd probably be about fifty quid up by now.

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
If I had a pound every time I'd heard some wild claim about tunnels underneath somewhere I'd probably be about fifty quid up by now.
Yeah - we get this in Sheffield too. The biggest urban myth is that there is a tunnel system from the Castle Manor down to castle market. However, the extensive tunnel system at Welbeck manor is very much real!

withindelain

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So urban stories go there are tunnels all under Grantham which were used for the MARco ammunition factory. I know from family members that some of MARco's work in the 70s was underground but the tunnels under the town are wildly blown out of proportion. I even was told once that there was an entrance to them in the service bay of the local KWIK-FIT.

sam93913

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So urban stories go there are tunnels all under Grantham which were used for the MARco ammunition factory. I know from family members that some of MARco's work in the 70s was underground but the tunnels under the town are wildly blown out of proportion. I even was told once that there was an entrance to them in the service bay of the local KWIK-FIT.
Thanks ha ha ha

Snowhead

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The Barracks were built on the site of the original 1st World War shell filling factory, which like most other shell filling factories had a bit of a mishap.
Chilwell Ordnance depot was built later and has mostly been redeveloped.
No doubt there would have been underground air raid shelters and certainly underground service ducts for pipework and cables under all of the Barracks and Depot site especially as the Depot had it's own railway.
Anything under the old Depot site would have been filled during redevelopment.
The Barracks are still a live millitary site so you won't be getting in there.

But tunnels to towns like Beeston and Long Eaton, extremely unlikely, there would be no point.
I'd ask my ex-wifes uncle who used to work in the depot, but he's been dead for 30 years..

From the linked document by the O.P

Stephen showed the group a photo of the Emergency underground exit taken from the Sergeants mess that we were advised was not part of the tunnels.The group still want to pursue more information aboutthetunnels for the potential they could bring to the site.

Googling even suggests there are / were Nuclear weapons on the site
Someone needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

Nigel1969

28DL Member
28DL Member
Just raising an old topic.
The tunnels do exist under the depot.
Well at least they did in the 80s.
I went down them and they were vast, you could have driven a bus down them.
The entrance was in the woods (hob goblin wood to be precise) via what looked like an old pil box
Not sure if they are still there but this part of the depot hasn't been developed on.

mark wev

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I too can confirm there are huge tunnels under the depot that run for miles, we used to enter via the brick pill box/turret which had a steel door and a very deep spiral staircase to get down, as a kid (in the 80's) im guessing we were at least 50m under ground, the air was damp and thick, the tunnels were at least wide enough to drive two double decker busses through with bays coming off either side, i noted by 'H' and bay 'I' as we walked through with an old torch, i heard there was also an access of Fields Farm road which would be the main entrance, on occasions we would hear other kids down there in the distance, the tunnels would echo for minutes after a big noice, there were signs of a big electric supply running down the walls. Very interesting to go down there, but absolutely cleared out of everything!

J.Hyde

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Just raising an old topic.
The tunnels do exist under the depot.
Well at least they did in the 80s.
I went down them and they were vast, you could have driven a bus down them.
The entrance was in the woods (hob goblin wood to be precise) via what looked like an old pil box
Not sure if they are still there but this part of the depot hasn't been developed on.
I suspect the entrance you describe can be found at "useful.seat.slime" [what3words]? A closer look on Google Earth shows a large red access door cutting beneath Hillside road surrounded by an earth retaining structure and a couple of outbuildings.

Elsewhere within the barracks, there is what somebody describes on another forum as an entrance to a relatively small underground storage area/shelter which I understand to be the circular structure found at "escape.combining.global".

An unusual structure can also be seen between the trees in Hobgoblin Wood at "stress.lifts.torch" but in studying old maps, this would appear to be nothing more than a reservoir.

As 'vast' as the tunnels/storage areas may have seemed, there is nil chance of them extending far and wide to nearby Beeston, Stapleford or Long Eaton as some have claimed.

Locals are probably confusing mine workings which were fairly extensive in the Beeston/Stapleford area as can be seen on Coal Authority maps.

Last edited:

J.Hyde

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So how big are these shelters, as I said they are mentioned specifically as tunnels on the minuets, with the possibility of turning them into a tourist interest.. http://cttcnf.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/170917-Minutes-Final.pdf page one final paragraph.. there is another mention from a different set of minuets
Tunnel extent can be found on page 3 of this document...

https://www.broxtowe.gov.uk/media/5769/statement-from-jll-on-behalf-of-dio-appendix-2-a.pdf

Unsure what folk are referring to when they speak of 'miles' of tunnels. As you can see, the footprint area is no greater than the Tesco superstore opposite the main gate and certainly does not extend beyond the base perimeter.

Last edited:

mark wev

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Tunnel extent can be found on page 3 of this document...

https://www.broxtowe.gov.uk/media/5769/statement-from-jll-on-behalf-of-dio-appendix-2-a.pdf

Unsure what folk are referring to when they speak of 'miles' of tunnels. As you can see, the footprint area is no greater than the Tesco superstore opposite the main gate and certainly does not extend beyond the base perimeter.
Hi, if you are referring to the fork shaped outline as being the tunnels i can tell you first hand that this is not a true representation of the extent of the tunnel network, i have walked for over 1/2 mile under the depot and the structure is huge, we never found the end. Later in life one of my friends worked in the depot as a civil servant, he had access to all plans, map, docs etc, he looked and told me there was no records of these tunnels on the plans he looked at, i guess they were storage for bombs/highly classified 'something'.

J.Hyde

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi, if you are referring to the fork shaped outline as being the tunnels i can tell you first hand that this is not a true representation of the extent of the tunnel network, i have walked for over 1/2 mile under the depot and the structure is huge, we never found the end. Later in life one of my friends worked in the depot as a civil servant, he had access to all plans, map, docs etc, he looked and told me there was no records of these tunnels on the plans he looked at, i guess they were storage for bombs/highly classified 'something'.
Hi, are you able to give co-ordinates or [preferably] what3words to locate the brick pill box/turret with the steel door and deep spiral staircase that you refer in an earlier post? I note you also mention a rumoured access off Fields Farm Rd. [Long Eaton??]. Did you mean Fields Farm Rd. or [more likely] Field Lane, Chilwell?

The tunnels you describe are unlikely to be connected to the red steel access door at "useful.seat.slime" as the opening is barely larger [in width or height] than my single garage door at home, never mind large enough to accommodate two double decker buses.

This particular access door aligns with the fork shaped storage areas on the .pdf document which appears to be nothing but a relatively 'at grade' access cutting into the hillside. Most likely a Cold War era store for arms, ammunitions etc. considering the barracks past role as an ordnance depot. It is of course probable that the stores were never fully utilised for their intended purpose before operations ceased.

In other forums, I have found locals complaining of mortgage/insurance issues due to tunnels running beneath their properties but I find this hard to believe given that your civil servant friend was party to all documentation but had no record of them. Therefore it is highly unlikely they would appear in property searches!

Either way, they would have to be dealt with by the DIO/MoD before the land is developed with exception of the fork shaped outline which is proposed to be retained.