real time web analytics
Report - - Chloride City Mine, Death Valley, California, USA | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Chloride City Mine, Death Valley, California, USA

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

747_kirki

Death Valley is Mine
28DL Full Member
Chloride City arose out of silver discoveries in nearby Chloride Cliff in 1873, the earliest of the Death Valley mines. The mines of this small community struggled on for a few years, but by 1880 none were working and everybody had moved on. The Rhyolite (a very famous ghost town nearby) excitement of 1904 brought in new capital. The Chloride Cliff Mine was bought by investors in nearby Rhyoliite and re-opened in 1908. Sufficient ore was produced in subsequent years to warrant the construction of a cyanide mill in 1916. It is questionable whether that investment paid off, as by 1918 the camp was deserted again.

Access to Chloride City Mine is on a track classed as ‘4x4 and high-clearance only’ – and trust me, this is a necessity. The road is about 6 miles from the Daylight Pass (main route into Death Valley). We didn’t see anyone on this trail the whole time and it was by far the toughest trail we took on in our rental SUV. If you are in a stock rental car, bear in mind you’ve probably signed to say you won’t leave the tarmac, so be extra careful on this road. It would be easy to screw up. There are some good axle-twisters, so expect to find your front / rear wheels leaving the ground as you make your way up the track.

Anyway, on with the pics, and for starters, a few comedy moments on the journey in::D
CIMG6360.jpg

CIMG6361.jpg

The first mine opening you come to goes straight down into the ground. It appears to be ‘open’, but the entrance is very very steep – you’d want a rope tethered to your car parked outside if you wanted to get into this one:
CIMG6325.jpg

There were also other mine openings scattered around the nearby hills – was tight on time so couldn’t wonder too far. Quick pic from a distance:
CIMG6328.jpg

Some kind of mill is left on the hillside:
CIMG6323.jpg

CIMG6344.jpg

CIMG6335.jpg

Not sure what the wooden post represented? Several old mattress springs are left dotted around the camp, plus countless rusty barrels and tins:
CIMG6333.jpg

An old wooden structure has long since collapsed:
CIMG6336.jpg

More mine openings – these looked more like prospecting holes as they didn’t go into the ground too far.
CIMG6338.jpg

But even the smallest of gaps 'in' had been filled a few feet inside:
CIMG6340.jpg

And huge piles of tailings are evident across the site:
CIMG6330.jpg

There was loads more to Chloride City, but the track got worse and we didn't trust our 'on-road' tyres to handle it. Next time - hopefully in a modified Jeep Rubicon or similar...:tumbleweed

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 6) View details