real time web analytics
Report - - Christmas Common Relay Tower - Oxford - Sep 2018 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Christmas Common Relay Tower - Oxford - Sep 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
History

Christmas Common is a US Air Force microwave relay station in the 'Digital European Backbone' network, which linked the EUCOM war headquarters at High Wycombe, Bucks (Daws Hill)to the Upper Heyford F-111 base. In 1990, $210,000 was allocated in the US Defense budget tot provide heavy security precautions at the site. The second site in the area - a short distance along the road - was among other things a microwave relay station used by the Civil Aviation Authority to relay radar to the air traffic control centre at West Drayton.​

The Tower is also a VHF site for Thames Valley Police Base Tx's.

The Explore

Well, I never thought I'd be posting in this section as I am not a big fan of heights but here I am. This was the third attempt as I bottled the first two about halfway up due to crippling vertigo. Fast forward a couple of years from the first attempt and I felt like it was worth a go again as I am much happier with height these days. @Bertie Bollockbrains very kindly offered to give it another go with me so massive thanks to him for giving up a day to have another crack at it! Anyway we arrived on site to be confronted with a brand new fence; once that was done with we went straight for the climb; although we did notice some new coax cable in the compound and a new cable running up the tower. Not to be deterred we made it to the top pretty quickly and found out that it was a VHF whip, which we decided to leave well alone. So, cameras out, pics taken and a quick climb back down again with a short stop for Bertie to get a specific picture... and we were back on Terra Firma.

No crippling fear, just elation and a rather urgent need for a pint, so off to the pub we went.

PIcs

nVH8t9J.jpg

eAUWRGe.jpg

HHwdYYA.jpg

aWFPf9S.jpg

v30cZHL.jpg

nVfWpKT.jpg

vdMAc5P.jpg

rltNbpp.jpg

imQSMnH.jpg

MkzSGmp.jpg

vCBeEuB.jpg

z7wQiSm.jpg

4iW9d2F.jpg

JmkPpTq.jpg

KKyuxol.jpg

0C94Hcu.jpg

znPEREF.jpg

ByKQLcC.jpg

YywvuMq.jpg

Thanks for looking :thumb

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Ahhh the happy memories... or should I say the terrifying and emotionally damaging memories, oh, no that was just me having to take a photo of your bare arse :eek:

LittleOwl

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Fuck me, that looks like an amazing climb but I think I'd be too busy shitting my pants to get even halfway up

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Its not that bad actually, you can have a rest on each platfrom if you need too. Views from the top are well worth it!

Who has read this thread (Total: 211) View details