real time web analytics
Report - - Chwarel wynne slate mine, llangollen. September 2013. | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Chwarel wynne slate mine, llangollen. September 2013.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Telf

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited with The Kwan, MSP, and Ellis.. Thanks for a good day out :thumb

Chwarel Wynne slate mine was worked up until 1928 and then sat dormant for many years then in 1978, the Wynne Quarry site was bought with a view to opening the quarry site and grounds to the public as a tourist attraction, along the lines of the successful ventures elsewhere in North Wales. The work involved was considerable.The Underground Workings had to be inspected, the most suitable for the public decided upon and made safe. Lighting had to be installed, pathways and secure steps constructed, the approval of the Department of Health and Safety obtained and a thousand and one other things done before “The Lost Caverns of Chwarel Wynneâ€￾ opened to the public for the first time. It appears that the Mine closed its doors to the public around 1996.

We had fun that day, it was cool to see a few props still left from the tourist day's, also it was surprising to find the mine was much bigger than we thought, only a small section of it was open to the public, this was obvious due to parts of it having no sign of ever having any lighting..

Tea shop/gift shop, Nothing left inside worth looking at!
DSC_0044_zps86da1c0a.gif

A mine cart just left to rot.
View attachment 564690

MSP Looking very smart:D
View attachment 564691

These were in a big shed on the grounds #RETRO
View attachment 564692

Once inside the view back out was lovely.
View attachment 564693

Another little building from the tourist day's.
View attachment 564694

One of many submerged parts, clear water, just stunning to see!
View attachment 564695

Not sure why this mannequin had a rope round his neck? but again really nice to see.
View attachment 564696

View attachment 564697

MSP and Ellis.
View attachment 564698

And finally a bit of light painting.
View attachment 564699

Thanks for looking Telf..