real time web analytics
Information - - Cinemas and Theatres in need of Exploration | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Information - Cinemas and Theatres in need of Exploration

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Those of you that have been around a while will remember about 5 or 6 years ago i made a bit of a 'thing' of going out and exploring as many of the UKs closed cinema and theatre buildings as i could. It was pretty successful (if i do say so myself). We had some mega explores and saw some really good stuff. Since about 2012 however i think ive taken my eye off the ball with them a bit and seemingly so has everyone else. Several really top notch examples have closed and been demo'd or converted without anyone even looking at them really. (Shepherds Bush Pavillion springs to mind). Seeing a couple of new ones pop up in the last couple of weeks has jogged my memory tho and i think its about time we had a recap of whats out there and HOPEFULLY people will get off the arses and do some exploring.

Firstly i shall draw your attention to the excellent work the theatres trust do in basically making a big list of theatres that 'probably' need some attention. Some will be familiar some will not!

http://www.theatrestrust.org.uk/theatre-buildings-at-risk/tbar-2015/england-tbar-register-2015

Theres also good recources at http://bingo.vg/closed-clubs/ or http://cinematreasures.org/

If thats not easy enough i think we should turn this thread into a list of whats out there. Im not talking a list of tourbus cinema explores, im talking never before explored and in some cases never even photographed in the modern era cinemas. Il start you off with a few but it would be nice if people could think about their local areas etc. and add some to the list that might be a goer. Unfortunately these buildings have a habit of closing down and disappearing into the ether.

Walthamstow EMD/Granada - This one has been on the cards forever, probably the most notable 'unexplored' derelict cinema out there nowadays. Old photos from back in the 80s show an amazing building inside. No recent photos seem to exist however. The only glimpse of inside is a crappy video from a town councillor who was let in when the building was squatted about 5 years ago. Recently the building has been sold and apparently asbestos removal has started which obviously may open the way for explorers if they actually try it!

Llandudno Grand -
This one was a club downstairs that closed fairly recently i think. Upstairs however is AMAZING or at least it was in the handful of old photos ive seen. I have checked it out once back in early August but there were workers apparently stripping out the club part (although it didn't look like they were doing much damage really, just chucking old papers in the skip outside). They wouldn't let me in of course.

Gaumont Chadwell Heath - Been to look at this one a couple of times while in the area. Its a standard ex-cinema bingo hall closure. Nice unmolested interior and could be really good behind the scenes! Got as far as seeing into the still fully lit up auditorium but couldn't quite pull it off.. One to keep an eye on for the Londoners i think.

Savoy Burnt Oak - Ex Mecca Bingo, Huge 1930s super cinema. Closed 2014, that's all i know so far.

Central Hall Watford - Again North London, Again Ex Mecca, Again Closed 2014, to be demolished to become shops apparently. Hopefully not gone already but someone needs to go look like NOW!

More when i get time!

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
One that always used to catch my eye in LDN when driving past was the Carlton Cinema in Islington.

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
It's possible somthing is happening with the place now. Should have asked them maybe.. Wouldn't be surprised is a happy clappy lot get in there. It's listed so won't be demod easily.

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Highams park Regal cinema - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...41m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0?hl=en - Hopefully hasn't been molested into some sort of club but you never know.

Regarding Chadwell Heath, something's going on with it but I'm not sure what. There was a tonne of skips outside the thing round back every time we had a look and they were always full of wood etc. To be honest I don't think it was from the Theater so I'm not even sure what's happening. Pretty live though, even late evening/night.

Darksonic222

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There's a cinema in Gloucester but I'm not entirely sure you can get in, I haven't been round the back of it at all, to many people and next to busy road.

ledgehammer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
durham is a derp, but was being worked on when we went in July. Abbydale picture house in sheffield had a psychedelia night on, so its either been party of fully renovated - thats all we have (state of decay)

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
There's a cinema in Gloucester but I'm not entirely sure you can get in, I haven't been round the back of it at all, to many people and next to busy road.

Mmm i cant think of one in Gloucester. Which road is it on? whats it called?

Darksonic222

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
St annes way, peel centre. It's a tiny retail park with two empty restraunts one just seems like people vanished one day. Old pizza hut and they're both next to the cinema, the place is huge and there is a walk around it which is more hidden but I have no idea of any entry points. There were two listed buildings there abandoned as well but arsonists got there. There is quite a lot at Gloucester quays.

Darksonic222

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'll just say I'm not 100% sure on the risk of these places, early morning late evening I'd say now that area is dead due to so many closed buildings and the quays pretty much taking everything from the park, I'm pretty sure in the future they're trying to restore the area but well it's gloucester, anything could happen with that. Not sure about cameras and security, haven't given it an explore as I've been wit h family at the time.

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Ahh i know where you mean, the modern one on the retail park opposite where the maltings was on fire the other day. By all means have a look but modern ones don't so much interest me.

Who has read this thread (Total: 452) View details