Web
Analytics
Lead or Rumour info - - Civic Offices - Newcastle Under Lyme - Impending Demolition | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Lead or Rumour info - Civic Offices - Newcastle Under Lyme - Impending Demolition

machineage

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So after quite the delay, the Civic Offices in Newcastle Under Lyme are about to be demolished. The strip-out has started, and the hoardings are up. Not sure what's possible here in terms of access etc. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I quite liked this example of 1960s civic architecture. I'll be sad to see it go, and dismayed no doubt by the identikit retail / residential / office space that is planned to replace it.

Salad_Dodger

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Planning permission for demolition was put in a couple of weeks ago. Although I always wonder as its the local council applying to its own planning dept, to demolish one of its own buildings. As for its replacement, its been mooted that affordable accommodation and small shop units will take priority. Apparently no more student flats (thank god!)

Salad_Dodger

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Just been onto the planning portal and had a look at the application for the demolition. Interestingly there is a 'demolition methodology' statement uploaded by the demo contractors - one thing caught my eye >>>
'The building also has a basement covering most of the footprint with a heavily re-enforced concrete bunker within'

machineage

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Just been onto the planning portal and had a look at the application for the demolition. Interestingly there is a 'demolition methodology' statement uploaded by the demo contractors - one thing caught my eye >>>
'The building also has a basement covering most of the footprint with a heavily re-enforced concrete bunker within'
Hmmmm - Cold War influenced? Would be interesting to learn more about the reasoning. Could be a great explore this one, if access is achievable. There are many parts of the building which were out of bounds to the public IIRC, including the basement.