real time web analytics
Report - - Clapham North Deep Shelter, London - April 2011 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Clapham North Deep Shelter, London - April 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Adders

living in a cold world
Regular User
Completely forgot about having these photos, so they've sat on my hard drive for the last 4 months collecting cyber dust. And despite the numerous other threads out there over the last couple of years I thought I'd post them up in case I forget how. :rolleyes:

Big thanks to DHL for answering the phone for once and helping me out.

History and plan stolen off Ojay said:
There were eight deep level shelters built between 1941-1942 underneath existing London Underground stations

Since the war, plans were drawn up to utilise the tunnels as an express rail route, but were soon dropped due to lack of funding.

London Underground have since took control of the shelters, all of which have been leased out except for Clapham.

30M Down the mainshaft via a spiral staircase are two 1400ft long tubes, with connecting tunnels and a now bricked up link to Clapham North Station.

The shelter was originally designed to house 8,000 people during the blitz of WW2.

2.gif

Ojay's report

It was a nice, quick walk around. And even though I was incredibly impressed with the scale of the complex it did get a bit repetitive towards the end.

I was traveling light so all of these shots are hand held unfortunately, shooting at ISO infinity. And of course only had my fisheye to hand as per usual. I'll learn one day, I promise.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg