real time web analytics
Report - - Clapham Storm Relief (Lucky Charms), London - July 2014. | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Clapham Storm Relief (Lucky Charms), London - July 2014.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin

LUCKY CHARMS

12.jpg

Essentially the Clapham Storm Relief and a CSO which serves the Southern High Level No.1/Putney & Clapham extension & Balham Sewers

Originally I had set out with Adders to look at something else, but we weren't suitably equipped and the next lid was a fair walk and time was against us

We opted for a quick look in here instead as we were nearby

One thing I've noticed, as soon as you mention drains to anyone, even fellow explorers it's an instant gurn

Once facial features usually return to normal most people just walk away leaving one muttering to ones self

Whatever opinion you have about them, you can't deny the epic over-engineering by the Board of Works that exists in London

There is something about Victorian brickwork that is hard to ignore, this place is no exception and simply stunning!

You would be forgiven that dropping into this rather small (8ft x 4ft) egg overflow and traipsing about would reveal anything decent..

1.jpg

WRONG... slip & slide upstream and throw down some lumens and you might have a different opinion of sewers :p:

Of course my pics don't really do the place justice and there are much better examples kicking around, none-the-less it was good to finally drop into this one

Split

Here the 8ft egg quickly turns to around 13ft ahead of the overflow

2.jpg

Junction

Here the Southern High Level No.1 enters on the far left, Putney & Clapham extension on the right, with the Balham sewer in the foreground

3.jpg

Here the Southern High Level exits via a smaller diameter arch as it eventually heads on down to the Southern Outfall Works, Crossness

4.jpg

Looking a bit closer upstream you can see one of the original carts/bogey's used during the original construction, since discarded between the converging sewers

5.jpg

Overflow - Southern High Level

6.jpg

7.jpg

Putney & Clapham extension

8.jpg

A single sided weir/oak dam boards serve as an overflow, passing underneath a now defunct penstock before droppping into a pit of soup beyond which is the Clapham Relief

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Adders mentioned something about a beer garden..

This wasn't it, but a couple of cold ones and a spot of World Cup at the nearby boozer shortly afterwards was a welcome sight :thumb

13.jpg

Mind the Fresh

14.jpg

Thanks for looking

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Great pics Ojay!
Lucky Charms has to be one of London's finest pieces of drain brickwork, it is simply superb in every aspect!
I know what you mean about the overflow tunnel, you wouldn't expect it to lead to something as good as this. :)

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I know what you mean about the overflow tunnel, you wouldn't expect it to lead to something as good as this. :)

I think we have all been spoilt

I really ought to give a shout to Otter/JD/Siologen/Loops & other drain hard hitters over the years for putting the work into such awesome stuff :Not Worthy

props.

Bunk3r

28DL Memb3r
28DL Full Member
There's no denying that's some seriously lovely brickwork, nicely captured.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
It is from the pictures ive seen very impressive indeed mate ;)

good set of flicks ta boot!