Web
Analytics
Report - - Clarence Graving Docks,Liverpool 4-10 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Clarence Graving Docks,Liverpool 4-10

kevsy21

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
#1
The Clarence Graving Docks date from 1830, although they were modernised as part of a major programme lasting from 1928-33.
They are unusual in Liverpool in being dug partly from rock. Some of the masonry work is of unusually high quality even by Hartley's standards. They have stepped sides and granite barrel runs. The southern graving dock has two chambers.
The arrangement of a double half-tide entrance with a barge lock is similar to that at Princes except that here there is also a lock from the half-tide dock (Salisbury) to the fully-impounded one (Collingwood).
The system was built at a period of great prosperity and rapidly expanding commercial enterprise, during the Industrial Revolution. This complex is of exemplary design and construction and it was designed and built by Jesse Hartley.
The enclosed docks enabled ships to be unaffected by the rise and fall of the tide.
The site was last used by Northwestern Ship repairers & Ship Builders Ltd who went on to acquire the Cammel Laird name.
Since my visit some of the outbuildings are gone and the remaining ones are sealed up and the general area tidied up.
SAM_9498.jpg


SAM_9472.jpg


SAM_9471.jpg

The white building was the old canteen/restroom.
SAM_9490.jpg


SAM_9483.jpg


SAM_9485.jpg

The First Aid Room
SAM_9480.jpg

Inside
SAM_9724.jpg


SAM_9496.jpg


SAM_9494.jpg


SAM_9680.jpg


SAM_9541.jpg


SAM_9561.jpg


SAM_9539.jpg


SAM_9551.jpg

The main workshop
SAM_9481.jpg


SAM_9697.jpg


SAM_9690.jpg


SAM_9521.jpg


SAM_9535.jpg


SAM_9577.jpg

These were used to open the Lockgates.
SAM_9512.jpg


SAM_9515.jpg


SAM_9527.jpg


Thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

Similar threads