real time web analytics
Report - - Clay Mine Entrance, Sheffield, December 2017 | Mines and Quarries | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Clay Mine Entrance, Sheffield, December 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
I too have had a look in here and like you, took one look at that collapse and thought no, not today.

If you live local would be worth doing some work to see if it was possible to shore that roof up - cos there’s every chance that the workings behind that collapse will be pretty substantial. ⚒

I do live fairly close and I’d love to see further in. Unfortunately I fear that shoring up an old mine roof sounds suspiciously like something that’s not within my very limited skill set! Haha! I suspect any intervention from me might make things a whole lot worse ;-)

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Also very near to this mine there is a small bomb shelter. As I found my old photos (from early 2014) I’m adding them here. It’s not quite as accessible now, but your can still make it inside, if you breathe in....

95AB6C89-2CDF-415C-9BBE-C87946A4CE0C.jpeg

EBE3A0EA-DCA3-4B99-834B-5198F815F809.jpeg

C46404CA-B52C-4D64-B13E-FA588069F7D3.jpeg

96F7836D-A548-4958-B9EC-4BECA87E6761.jpeg

6212DA08-9094-481A-AF2B-77B201120DEB.jpeg

FAF6AE5C-5896-4E1F-AD46-53FDCF72AAF9.jpeg

52CA56A0-31EB-4203-B722-475BEE962E00.jpeg

C8E61408-000B-4A7D-B190-29E59DCDD04C.jpeg

Last edited:

waveydave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
nice shots again sir! I was gonna check this out a couple of years ago when i was at the refactory but after an impromptu excursion into some brambles and then finding it almost impossible to get up the mud bath of a footpath in the footwear i had on, i decided to leave it for a drier day. Nice one for sharing

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
I remember looking at this years ago, nice to see more photos

I intended to get some better pics with my wide angle when I went back for the mine entrance, but then ended up putting the wrong lens in my bag and then couldn’t be arsed with the squeeze. I guess these old ones will do for now!

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
nice shots again sir! I was gonna check this out a couple of years ago when i was at the refactory but after an impromptu excursion into some brambles and then finding it almost impossible to get up the mud bath of a footpath in the footwear i had on, i decided to leave it for a drier day. Nice one for sharing

There’s loads of bits and pieces around here hidden in the brambles are undergrowth isn’t there? Yet to find anything else significant but you never know what impromptu excursions might throw up! Except for scratched legs, obviously.

Praada

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
can you PM me this location please? I'll go past the cave in and get a few snaps if it continues :) Been over worse in the past haha!

'Splorin'

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Has anyone been beyond the imminent collapse? Does it go much further? How bad does the imminent collapse look?

Praada

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Think i might go check it out later or at weekend, will let you know, i've been in major sketchy mines and climbed over many falls like that one, i guess if its a clayworks, then the depths will be similar to one at matlock bath. Just hope it hasnt got all the demon red pigment inside that stuff still haunts our explore vehicle to this day :banghead

Dirge the sergal

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I too have had a look in here and like you, took one look at that collapse and thought no, not today.

If you live local would be worth doing some work to see if it was possible to shore that roof up - cos there’s every chance that the workings behind that collapse will be pretty substantial. ⚒
If its the mine i think it is it was large enough to be worked by an underground loco rather than good old man powered carts.

paul c dickinson79

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
cool I don't userlly do these areas . I userlly do bunkers anti aircraft and military sites :) wondnt mind having a look at this soon :)

waveydave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Finally got to take a look here myself. Beyond the collapse it appears to open up but shortly after there is a second partial collapse. I suspect that this tunnel was purely for mine carts, being such a low ceiling. Would love to see behind the breeze blocked wall near this entrance which was probably the main way in and out.

waveydave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The way that the supports have splintered and snapped it may be a case of digging your way out mate. It really does look like certain death in there

DSCF8997~2.JPG

DSCF9004~2.JPG

Who has read this thread (Total: 197) View details