real time web analytics
Report - - Clayton Hospital - Wakefield - 05/14 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Clayton Hospital - Wakefield - 05/14

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Robbo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Been exploring for a while & on the site for a bit, so, would like to contribute my little offering. Please be kind, its my 1st time.

A little history..

Clayton Hospital is named after Thomas Clayton, a mayor of Wakefield and was founded in 1854. It was an amalgamation of Wakefield General Dispensary, founded in 1787, and the Wakefield House of Recovery, founded in 1826. Wakefield General Dispensary was for out-patients and the Wakefield House of Recovery was for poor in-patients suffering from infectious diseases.

In 1852 the Wakefield Union Workhouse was completed and its hospital wards accommodated pauper invalids and fever cases, so that the House of Recovery was closed in 1854. In 1863 Mayor Clayton financed an expansion and the institution was re-named 'The Clayton Hospital and Wakefield General Dispensary'. The site moved from Dispensary Yard to the present site in 1876 and the new building was opened in 1879.By 1948 the name was changed to Clayton Hospital and it had a capacity of 200 beds.

It closed early 2013 for good. No other use is proposed for it so far, only rumors of the adjoining schools near it are said to buy it for school use.

Just some of the many wards

CLAYTON-FINALVISIT73.jpg

CLAYTON-FINALVISIT91.jpg

Wash time

CLAYTON-FINALVISIT101.jpg

Gypo's left their mark, as per.

CLAYTON-FINALVISIT2.jpg

CLAYTON-FINALVISIT25.jpg

This surprisingly mostly intact

CLAYTON-FINALVISIT27.jpg

CLAYTON-FINALVISIT31.jpg

The lifts didn't work..

CLAYTON-FINALVISIT52.jpg

CLAYTON-FINALVISIT53.jpg

CLAYTON-FINALVISIT58.jpg

A little retro can.!

CLAYTON-FINALVISIT71.jpg

The wards were still in ok condition after over a year of abandonment.

CLAYTON-FINALVISIT83.jpg

CLAYTON-FINALVISIT96.jpg

Some external shots

CLAYTON-FINALVISIT103.jpg

CLAYTON-FINALVISIT121.jpg

CLAYTON-FINALVISIT95.jpg

No one answered.!

CLAYTON-FINALVISIT127.jpg

Last edited:

Robbo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Clayton Hospital - Wakefield

yes, my fellow explorer is in the 1st one.!

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User

Could miss him standing there, Some cool photos Robbo, just needs a date in the title, month and year :thumb

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User

Great first report! Nice history, well set out and decent pics :)

Last edited:

Will Knot

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Nice report there, great pics, thanks for sharin' :thumb

Muttley

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

cheers, will do next time

You need to edit the title on THIS report, otherwise it will be deleted during the regular archiving process.

Otherwise, good first report. Look forward to seeing more.

Robbo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

done, cheers for the advice

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Clayton Hospital - Wakefield - 04/05/14

Nice ones :)

I always found the exterior buildings to be interesting, and first time i"ve ever seen parking available at Clayton :)

Didn"t get into the GUM Clinic then :eek: Memories lol

Robbo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Clayton Hospital - Wakefield - 04/05/14

Cheers ACID

I've taken MANY more pictures of the place, its fascinating to go round. However smack rats have been in there, needles & the like were came across. Also squatters were loafing around also. still, loved every minuet of it.

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Myself and a few friends were here very recently and came across one smackhead who appeared to be furiously carving and whittling at something!? He acknowledged us with much twitching, a wary nod and a mumbled "orite". Based on that I'd advise anyone heading here to be very careful.

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
Myself and a few friends were here very recently and came across one smackhead who appeared to be furiously carving and whittling at something!? He acknowledged us with much twitching, a wary nod and a mumbled "orite". Based on that I'd advise anyone heading here to be very careful.

He's pretty harmless (if its the same guy i bumped into at midnight recently)... he kindly showed us the way to the tower.

Robbo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Paid another visit to the place recently

CLAYTON-FINALVISIT31.jpg

on one of the roofs

CLAYTON-FINALVISIT20.jpg

looking up

visitlast12.jpg

didn't fancy a bath much

visitlast11.jpg

visitlast1.jpg