real time web analytics
Report - - Clayton Lodge Hotel, Newcastle under Lyme, Staffordshire – April 2021 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Clayton Lodge Hotel, Newcastle under Lyme, Staffordshire – April 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Clayton Lodge is a large 50+ bedroom hotel which has been run by several companies over the years including Embassy and most recently OYO. Part of the central section of the hotel is made up of a Victorian property which has a nice original spire, but other than this it’s a mostly mid-century affair that was given a full refurb as recently as 2009.

The hotel came under fire from the local council in 2017 following a detailed investigation into ‘complaints of crime, under-age drinking, health and hygiene issues’.

After closing in March 2020 during the beginning of the Covid pandemic the hotel hit the news again in January of this year, when staff discovered the vacant building was being burgled during a routine check;

‘Officers were called at around 1.05pm and were at the scene […] within 10 minutes when four people fled out of the back of the property.’

On the 2nd of April 2021 a severe fire broke out at the hotel destroying the oldest part of the property.

‘A huge blaze has ripped through a closed Staffordshire hotel overnight. Firefighters spent most of last night, April 2, dealing with the fire…’

After hearing from some locals that this was a goer we decided to have a wander before the local kids smash it up too much.

Visited with @raisinwing @Humpa and @oldboots

Lobby / reception

Bar, communal areas, kitchens etc

Function room

The bedrooms were all pretty samey. Some completely destroyed by kids, some with a lingering smell of weed and cheap cider. But others were pretty tidy, I could've easily climbed into bed in some tbh!

And a bit of tat from the basement to end on

Ta for looking!​

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Fab explore. Shame about the fire, hope the spire was saved. So these were taken after the fire? and thefts. There is an awful lot of stuff left. It looks quite classy tbf. Looks can be deceiving if a big investigation about health and hygiene issues went on.

Lovely coverage :thumb

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Fab explore. Shame about the fire, hope the spire was saved. So these were taken after the fire? and thefts. There is an awful lot of stuff left. It looks quite classy tbf. Looks can be deceiving if a big investigation about health and hygiene issues went on.

Lovely coverage :thumb

Yeah there's a big chunk completely burnt out in the old bit unfortunately. It's been pretty ransacked, kids have even had the crisps out the vending machines!

raisinwing

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Was a weird one this for me, I'd never really been somewhere that was so familiar to me having grown up only a few minutes walk from here. It was a shame to see it in such a state as it always used to be relatively "posh" for a run of the mill hotel/restaurant type place.

I imagine the recent events will only help facilitate the long held desire of the landlords to redevelop the site as a shoebox housing estate.

You've captured it really nicely!

westernsultan

Banned
Banned
Thanks for bringing back memories. I once stayed there on business with a German colleague who refused to be picked up at Birmingham airport saying he would make his own way to the hotel. He did - he flew into Newcastle airport and travelled by taxi to the hotel and had to pay the cost of the taxi driver getting home. We had all retired to bed by the time he had arrived. He then overslept and missed breakfast - nice report.

Last edited:

mingerocket

28DL Regular User
Regular User
My company had our works Xmas do here back in 2014 and we were asked never to return , good times. Doesn't looked to have changed much since then.

Who has read this thread (Total: 625) View details