real time web analytics
Report - - Clegg Street Railway Warehouse, Oldham - Sept 2010 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Clegg Street Railway Warehouse, Oldham - Sept 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Clegg Street Railway Warehouse - Sept 2010

A BRIEF HISTORY

The Park Road, or more correctly Clegg Street, Railway Warehouse at Oldham was built in 1876 and although it often know as the London & North Western Railway warehouse it was actually built by the Oldham, Ashton & Guide Bridge Railway which was jointly owned by the London & North Western and the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway (later the Great Central Railway). It was last used in the 1960s and since then has stood empty and becoming increasingly derelict. It owes its survival to the fact of being listed grade 2 on the basis of its unusual curved layout. Over the years there have been many proposals for the re-use of this building but none have succeeded.

MY VISIT

After my last visit to this fantastic building I vowed never to go back, I lost my putting both legs through a floor virginity here! Anyway this time I had over 2 hours to kill in Oldham; the choice was killing time in the office or go for an explore? It was a hard choice, and as I hadn't been in this building for over a year thought it would be worth a mooch.

The fantastic curved railway warehouse

Cleggstreet.jpg

Starting at the top, the very green floor (4th) due to the lack of a roof

4thfloor.jpg

The open 3rd floor

3rd.jpg

These days this is very wishful

3rdsign.jpg

The rickety stairs to the floor below

3.jpg

The second floor

2ndc.jpg