Web
Analytics
Report - - Cliffe Fort , Feb 2012 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Cliffe Fort , Feb 2012

pirate

Rum Swigger
28DL Full Member
#1
After messing up the tide tables we lucked out at the grain battery so decided on a visit to Cliffe.
Visited with Datsun,Rustproofhawk and Uri

Built in the 1860’s, Cliffe Fort is one of the three Thames Side Forts that were designed to defend that Thames Estuary. It was also built to work in conjunction with Coalhouse Fort in Essex to prevent a hostile fleet reaching London via the Thames.

Construction of the fort was difficult due to the marshy ground that the fort is built on; cracking and subsidence caused many problems for the men working on the fort. More surprisingly, this marshy ground was also home to malaria mosquitoes, which made life even more difficult for the construction work.

The fort was designed solely to cater for the armament of the day and the guns that were installed on Cliffe Fort were 12.5” and 11” RML’s, weighing around 35 tons. Protection of these guns was provided by granite faced casemates with shields for added defence. These shields, casemates and the rails on which the gun carriages stood are all still visible today.

In 1885, Cliffe Fort became the site for an experimental harbour defence system known as the “Brennan Torpedo”. This was the world’s first wire guided missile. Originally there were two sets of launching rails, but only one remains today. As progressive as this system was at the time, it was replaced 25 years later in favour of quick-firing (QF) guns.

Cliffe Fort remained armed throughout both World Wars, but was sold after the end of the Second World War to a local cement company. As a result of this, the fort has sadly been neglected and has fallen into a fairly advanced state of decay.

The Causeway
6822379725_636b9a191a_z.jpg


Casemate level
6822390211_710751b7e3_z.jpg


Telescopic Observation Tower
6822463161_e59c6b5d2c_z.jpg


WW2 Observation Tower
6822487829_75af6e8b54_z.jpg


Stairs from magazine to casemate level
6822418967_3c023c368e_z.jpg


6822407729_9b541ae3a7_z.jpg


The Bennan Torpedo Launcher
6822511711_2806a0c10a_z.jpg



Pirate

Ful set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/piratelukey/sets/72157629182825831/with/6822511711/
 

Similar threads