real time web analytics
Report - - Cliffe Fort - June 14 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cliffe Fort - June 14

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

REEF

Getthegirlkillthebaddies
28DL Full Member
I've always bypassed this site as its not really on the way to anywhere and it didn't look that interesting. After a conversation with The126 and him mentioning some flooded tunnels that need exploring I said 'I'm in!'. Very glad I went its a much more interesting place than I thought with Napoleonic, WW1 and WW2 defenses all mixed together.

History
Cliffe Fort was built in 1860 on the Hoo Peninsula in north Kent. It protected the Thames with another fort in Essex. A Brennan Torpedo station was added in 1890. This was a wire-guided torpedo used for harbor defense. The fort was armed in World War I and was used as an anti-aircraft battery in World War II. I'm sure the place is sliding into the sea as it doesn't look level and the height of the water in the tunnels across the site suggest this.

View from the top showing the flooded parade ground.
Cliffe13_zpsc88e94ec.jpg

WW1 and then WW2 observation tower.
Cliffe16_zps9cc21b5c.jpg

WW1 gun mounts
Cliffe12_zpsfa3d3095.jpg

Inside the Napoleonic part of the fort
Cliffe01_zps0bfd6d17.jpg

Cliffe02_zpsaa5f6699.jpg

Cliffe15_zpsfbcf4186.jpg

Cliffe03_zps1fbf6451.jpg

Cliffe04_zps7c4d0f62.jpg

Cliffe11_zps6eb1341a.jpg

Cliffe09_zps99ca08cc.jpg

Inside the flooded buildings
Cliffe10_zpsfed562cd.jpg

Heading into the flooded tunnel network
Cliffe08_zps9365cb46.jpg

Cliffe07_zpsf39ee60c.jpg

Cliffe06_zpse77138b1.jpg

Cliffe05_zps9aba9559.jpg

Brennan Torpedo Slip
Cliffe14_zps26ccfe58.jpg

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
ah fuckit..ive been here but it looks like im going to have to go again ..with waders..nice one mate :thumb

REEF

Getthegirlkillthebaddies
28DL Full Member
ah fuckit..ive been here but it looks like im going to have to go again ..with waders..nice one mate :thumb

Take chest waders, I had normal ones and couldn't explore some sections as it was that deep.

Pinkman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is a good one to explore, & nice pics btw.
Been there a couple of times, but couldn't venture on ground level because of the water.
Nice to see that someone came a little better equipped :)