Web
Analytics
Report - - Cliffe fort - May 2012. | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Cliffe fort - May 2012.

PeZ

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
#1
Intro.

Sooooooooo yeah... god you must be thinking, not another bloody report from this place... haha well yes hello! ive been out with a few friends and decided to check out this place again.... Quite a relaxed explore... Histroy? well here it comes..

History

Cliffe Fort is a Royal Commission fort built in the 1860s on the edge of the Cliffe marshes on the Hoo Peninsula in north Kent to protect against invasion via the Thames. It is opposite Coalhouse Fort in Essex: they are 2 km apart. Construction was difficult due to the marshy ground and the malaria-carrying mosquitos. It was armed with 12.5-inch 38-ton and 11-inch 25-ton rifled muzzle-loading guns. Protection of these guns was provided by granite-faced casemates with shields for added defence. The shields, casemates and the rails on which the gun carriages stood are all still visible today.
A Brennan Torpedo station was added in 1890. This was a wire-guided missile used for harbour defence: the launching rails are still visible at low water. It was replaced around 1910 with quick firing guns. The fort was armed in World War I and was used as an anti-aircraft battery in World War II. It is now inside a gravel extraction site and is inaccessible and very overgrown. It can however be viewed from the riverside path.

From WIKI, so who knows if its the thruth ;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliffe_Fort

PICTURES!

7206124220_26c96eecfa_z.jpg


7206101718_2ea78ca6a3_z.jpg


7206129092_ce0fd7a805_z.jpg


7206119928_23b9776d1f_z.jpg


7206115520_f4a20b2c85_z.jpg


7206110296_89bd27932f_z.jpg


7206105886_ef6d81a636_z.jpg
 

Similar threads