real time web analytics
Report - - Cliffe Fort, visit 2021 - Kent. | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cliffe Fort, visit 2021 - Kent.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

DE-eVOLVED

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cliffe Fort - Report - cc2021

20210912_105951(1).jpg

Cliffe Fort is a disused and abandoned artillery fort built in the cc1860s to guard the entrance to the Thames from seaborne attack.

Screenshot_20210919-205958_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20210919-210003_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20210919-210008_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20210919-210012_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20210919-210015_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20210919-210019_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20210919-210022_Facebook.jpg

The fort was constructed during a period of tension with France.

It stands on the south bank of the river at the entrance to Cliffe Creek - in the 'Cliffe marshes' on the Hoo Peninsula in North Kent.

The guns that were once in place were first tried and tested at the Old Ranges in Shoeburyness.

Screenshot_20210919-210035_Facebook.jpg

Its location on marshy ground caused problems from the very beginning and necessitated changes to its design after the structure begin to crack and subside during construction.

The fort was equipped with a variety of large-calibre artillery guns which were intended to support two other nearby Thamesside forts.

Cliffe Fort saw was utilsed as a artillery fortfor aprox sixty years - from its completion in cc1870 to its disarmament in cc1927.

The fort was repurposed during the 2nd World War - (to serve as an anti-aircraft battery on the approaches to London).

The fort's military career ended when it was sold off after the war to the owners of a neighbouring aggregates works.

Today the fort lies derelict, overgrown and heavily flooded.

Screenshot_20210919-210031_Facebook.jpg

Cliffe Fort is in a poor and slowly deteriorating condition with grafitti sprawled all over it. This has led the structure to be listed as an "at risk" heritage asset.

Screenshot_20210919-210027_Facebook.jpg

More info coming soon !!

- DE-eVOLVED

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
I love this place, been a couple of times. Always planned to re visit but as yet haven't. Nice report, yet doomed from the start, such a shame as its quite a big place. Ive walked the walls in high wind, not a good idea lol, felt so high up. Looks more graffitied up now though .

DE-eVOLVED

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I love this place, been a couple of times. Always planned to re visit but as yet haven't. Nice report, yet doomed from the start, such a shame as its quite a big place. Ive walked the walls in high wind, not a good idea lol, felt so high up. Looks more graffitied up now though .

Hi, yeah its a great place .. we walked that wall too.. it was pretty sketchy..i just aimed my torch at the walkway and followed the glow..but one of our team isnt so great with height and had to crawl accross..tbh I dont like heights either..but because it was so dark I couldnt see the ground/water below, lol..

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Hi, yeah its a great place .. we walked that wall too.. it was pretty sketchy..i just aimed my torch at the walkway and followed the glow..but one of our team isnt so great with height and had to crawl accross..tbh I dont like heights either..but because it was so dark I couldnt see the ground/water below, lol..
I went in day time, workers were around, so it was a sort of walk, lie as they drove the digger back down the track, that was the first visit. Second we took an extendable ladder, and simply put it down the hatch hole on the first roof you hit. Much easier lol

Who has read this thread (Total: 222) View details