real time web analytics
Question - - Climbing in? | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Climbing in?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

FrancisRomad

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hey dudes,
I am sure this question has been asked half a million times but I couldn't find it around.
What are the legalities to climbing in to a building, so the bottom floor is totally sealed up however by floor two all the Windows have already been broken in and you could just climb straight through. I was wondering if it is illegal to do so and where does it no longer become legal? For instance if I brought some rope (assuming I found an anchor) and ascended is that more or less illegal than just straight up climbing or are they both as illegal/legal as each other
Oh and I am in the UK
Thanks
Francis

chills

Queller of the uprising
I’m unsure of the legalities but you’d need an anchor placed inside the building to offer resistance that is secure enough to hold your weight, equally, climbing straight up a rope without any harnesses or, (assuming you don’t have any prior, apologies if you do) knowledge of safe and secure knots, if you don’t, there’s a high chance you’ll break something by falling, or in worst case scenario, hang yourself or fall to your death. Furthermore, making your escape back out is certainly not the same as entering when using ropes!

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
At the end of the day it really depends on the equation

how-much-do-want-to-see-this/how-much-trouble-will-i-get-in-if-im-caught

to the square root of

is-this-a-shit-derp

= amount-of-suckings

FaZy_UK

28DL Regular User
Regular User
If you take climbing equipment, they could class that as "going equipped to burgle"

Also, if you damage anything whilst climbing (window, drainpioe etc) then that could be used as well.

There's also the danger of falling from the second floor. Is the explore really worth it?

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
If you take climbing equipment, they could class that as "going equipped to burgle"

Also, if you damage anything whilst climbing (window, drainpioe etc) then that could be used as well.

There's also the danger of falling from the second floor. Is the explore really worth it?

That's a good answer, I would concur with this

FrancisRomad

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I’m unsure of the legalities but you’d need an anchor placed inside the building to offer resistance that is secure enough to hold your weight, equally, climbing straight up a rope without any harnesses or, (assuming you don’t have any prior, apologies if you do) knowledge of safe and secure knots, if you don’t, there’s a high chance you’ll break something by falling, or in worst case scenario, hang yourself or fall to your death. Furthermore, making your escape back out is certainly not the same as entering when using ropes!
Thank you and for others definently don't if you are unsure in the slightest. I have been climbing for over a decade now and I would absolutely be using ropes, harnesses and helmets. And I have sorted out the anchor too. But the legalities of it I am unsure about...?

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Thank you and for others definently don't if you are unsure in the slightest. I have been climbing for over a decade now and I would absolutely be using ropes, harnesses and helmets. And I have sorted out the anchor too. But the legalities of it I am unsure about...?

Anchors when lead climbing up a derelict building would be interesting? When I've used a rope it's usually something I'm happy to solo, but the rope is to provide safety for someone else who wasn't as competent.

Mind you the first time I used ropes on a derelict building was to lower @Ojay into a mill when he was on crutches after a serious leg break and haul him out afterwards, a few weeks later we tried another explore which would involve hauling him up first. We got busted before he could leave the ground, but I left the rope equipment on the roof out of sight, and collected once security had left.

There is the potential if you had climbing kit and the police wanted to make a statement, that it is going equipped. I have plenty of gear so would abandon it if needed an do a runner.

FrancisRomad

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Anchors when lead climbing up a derelict building would be interesting? When I've used a rope it's usually something I'm happy to solo, but the rope is to provide safety for someone else who wasn't as competent.

Mind you the first time I used ropes on a derelict building was to lower @Ojay into a mill when he was on crutches after a serious leg break and haul him out afterwards, a few weeks later we tried another explore which would involve hauling him up first. We got busted before he could leave the ground, but I left the rope equipment on the roof out of sight, and collected once security had left.

There is the potential if you had climbing kit and the police wanted to make a statement, that it is going equipped. I have plenty of gear so would abandon it if needed an do a runner.

Awesome, this place is really good for anchor points. I used to go to it a while back before they sealed the ground floor but there are a few girders that I will be able to loop a flight line through and drag up my rope with. So it sounds to me that there isn't any problem... So long as you don't get caught. Well I will bear it in mind if I need to flee haha. Being prepared isn't taken too kindly then? Thank you very much for the reply!

FrancisRomad

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Ok thank you very much, I will bear that in mind certainly.