Web
Analytics
Report - - Clydach Twins, South Wales, May 2012 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Clydach Twins, South Wales, May 2012



cunningcorgi

28DL Regular User
Regular User
#1
HISTORY

The tunnels are on the Abergavenny to Brynmawr railway. The original was built upon Baileys Tramway which ran from ironworks at Nantyglo to the Govilon wharf of the Brecon and Abergavenny Canal.

This was converted to a locomotive-hauled railway and in 1862 the line opened from Abergavenny to Brynmawr. In 1877 the line was doubled, and new tunnel bores at Clydach and Gellifelen were made. The new tunnels are the southerly tunnels.

The line was closed in 1958

The eastern portals are on private property and are obscured by trees.

(Bore distances 302 & 330 yards).

THE VISIT

A lovely night outside does not always mean a lovely night inside as is the case with the Clydach Twins. As the eastern portals are in somebodies back garden, they have been bricked up so mist is more than present the further east you go. The bores can be accessed from within through an adit near the eastern endss. Visited with wonkycows.

1. Heading down the original bore
7402502506_d0f31e9926_z.jpg


2. Dwarf refuge with calcite
7402500646_16cc56842b_z.jpg


3. Access adit to new bore
7402499816_8e2548b18e_z.jpg


4. Adit in the new bore
7402497828_e19968c55e_z.jpg


5. Eastern end, new bore, complete with support bracing
7402498566_fe8fb2db9f_z.jpg


6. Brick, soot, mist and rock
7402496632_bb6dbf1249_z.jpg


7. Gradient marker at the old bore entrance
7402503418_16f0ef10c4_z.jpg


8. The western portals
7402504014_2509a99a9e_z.jpg


Thanks for looking
 

Similar threads