real time web analytics
Report - - Co-Operative Insurance HQ, Manchester - December 2011 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Co-Operative Insurance HQ, Manchester - December 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
Co-Operative Insurance HQ, Manchester - December 2011

Visited with Bigjobs, fishbrain, Littlejobs and Millhouse.

Co-Op; Good with scaff...

Finally got round to seeing this.

Not much to see really, but given Co-Op's presence in Manchester and the building's ambitious and unusual form, it will no doubt become an iconic structure on Manchester's skyline.

The place is a maze of scaffolding which makes it very fun. Especially if you're into abseiling... which I am not... but bigjobs, fishbrain and Millhouse all gave it a zip.

Bit of info from here

The unusual plan shape, the inefficient curved edges, the vast loss of office space in return for a huge atrium. They are all there to promote the Co-Operative Groups ethos, so has the architectural equation changed in a modern environment, is it now function follows form follows advertisement, perhaps that is all we get from a capitalist society.

Designers 3DReid have created a somewhat refreshing office block that diverts from the typical glass-cladded box. It looks at sustainability on a larger level and worker friendly environments, parking is limited as the local transport services are the advised use of travel, a vast atrium inside creates an open environment for it’s workers and leads the path for a new style of offices that are less enclosed, and more open.

From the plans, it comes across to me more like a corporate turd curling up from the ground rather than a gleaming moral statement... it also reminds me a lot of the ridiculous Urbis building nearby.

Below is a video of Bigjobs treating the place with as much respect as I have just shown in my architectural review.

Bigjobs Ab

cishq2.jpg

cishq6.jpg
cishq5.jpg

cishq13a.jpg

cishq14.jpg

cishq4.jpg
cishq3.jpg

Fishbrain

cishq15.jpg

cishq12.jpg

Apologies where required for the orangey/yellowness of some of these, but I quite liked 'em. It was quite a drab and rainy night.

Thanks for viewing,
tweek

cishq9.jpg

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 5) View details