real time web analytics
Report - - Coastal Defence Battery, Alnmouth, Northumberland - September 2012 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Coastal Defence Battery, Alnmouth, Northumberland - September 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Neon_Ghost

28DL Member
28DL Member
I used to visit this site 20 years ago on holiday and on a recent visit I was amazed to find it was still there and in good condition.

The costal defence battery was built in the 1880’s by the Duke of Northumberland. He must have been a builder in his spare time as he did a pretty good job of it :thumb
It was built during heightened tensions with France but was never used in anger. It was modified and re-enforced with brick during the Second World War and was used as an observation post. The building is split over two tiers with two rooms on the top and an ammunitions store below.

The outside of the battery showing the two levels
e9405762.jpg

The plaque says: THIS BATTERY WAS ERECTED BY HIS GRACE ALGERNON DUKE OF NORTHUMBERLAND K.G. FOR THE USE OF THE PERCY ARTILLERY VOLUNTEERS COMPLETED 12TH MARCH 1881
8c202a91.jpg

Stone outer wall with peep hole
ce162d36.jpg

Flat stone roof that felt incredibly strong and very slippery
d6d53127.jpg

Inside brick walls from WW2. It looks like they have been angled - could this be to do with deflecting the force of a blast?
b6fd67c4.jpg

3a1c1263.jpg

Inside looking out, it gives you an appreciation of how thick the walls are
10bfbea9.jpg

There is this hole in the floor to the ammo store beneath. I’m not sure if this to shout down instructions or to pass up ammunition the people above
5a1616d7.jpg

The steps down to the lower level along with the route to them were well over grown. I didn’t fancy going down there as I’m not much of a gardner!
0c80c355.jpg

Orienteering marker on the roof
67dc1667.jpg

The view from the top
0c2fd211.jpg

I enjoyed exploring this place, I hope it is as interesting to you as it was to me. Picture were taken with my trusty point and shoot so sorry for the lack of light painting and fancy camera tricks :)