real time web analytics
Report - - Cockenzie Power Station East Lothian Scotland May 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cockenzie Power Station East Lothian Scotland May 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Paradox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This weekend myself, Bigjobs and FB decided to take a trip north of the border and visit Scotland. Whilst we were there we paid a visit to Cockenzie power station.

Although I have visited Battersea on a couple of occasions I have only really seen Control Room A, the White Room and had a mooch on the roof, so this was new to me and I didn't really know what to expect. Demolition is well underway, the turbines have already been removed and there is lots of empty space. However, whilst not as impressive as Battersea from the outside, this didn't stop me being impressed once I was inside. Just seeing the size of the place and trying to imagine what it would have looked liked before they started to demolish it.

Cockenzie Power Station​

Overview

Cockenzie power station is a closed coal-fired power station in East Lothian, Scotland. It is situated on the south shore of the Firth of Forth, near the town of Cockenzie and Port Seton, 8 miles (13 km) east of the Scottish capital of Edinburgh. The station has dominated the local coastline with its distinctive twin chimneys, since it opened in 1967. Initially operated by the nationalised South of Scotland Electricity Board, it has been operated by Scottish Power since the privatisation of the industry in 1991. In 2005 a WWF report named Cockenzie as the UK's least carbon-efficient power station, in terms of carbon dioxide released per unit of energy generated.The 1,200 megawatt power station ceased generating energy on 15 March 2013 around 8.30am. The main station is currently being dismantled by Brown and Mason Ltd, a UK-based demolition company. There are plans to replace the station with a Combined Cycle Gas Turbine (CCGT) power station.

History

Under a design by the firm of celebrated architect Sir Robert Matthew, construction of Cockenzie power station began in 1959 on the site of the former Preston Links Colliery. The site is also thought to have been the hiding place of General John Cope after the defeat of his army at the Battle of Prestonpans on 21 September 1745. Much of the electrical equipment for the station was manufactured by Bruce Peebles & Co., Edinburgh. The station began generating electricity in 1968 for the then South of Scotland Electricity Board (SSEB). In 2000-01, Cockenzie generated a record load factor, supplying 3,563 GWh of electricity and burning 1,500,000 tonnes of coal.

Coal was originally supplied to the station directly from the deep mines of the neighbouring Midlothian Coalfield, but these have since been exhausted or closed. Subsequently coal was supplied from open cast mines in the Lothians, Fife, Ayrshire and Lanarkshire. Russian coal was used latterly as it has a low sulphur content which helped reduce sulphur oxide (SOx) emissions to the atmosphere. The power station was the first to use the "merry-go-round" system of coal deliveries by rail. This system uses hopper wagons which carry around 914 tonnes of coal per train. Coal was also delivered by lorries and is known as 'road borne' coal.

The burning of coal in power stations generates ash and dust. The station's electrostatic precipitators captured fly ash from the flue gases, preventing it from entering the atmosphere. Bottom ash was also produced by the station. Ash from the station was sold through the ScotAsh company, a joint venture between Scottish Power and Blue Circle. It was used in the construction industry and in products such as grout and cement. Any remaining ash was piped to the large lagoons in the nearby town of Musselburgh, where it was capped and planted, and used as a nature reserve.

The coal-fired power station was forced to close due to the Large Combustion Plant Directive (LCPD). This is an EU directive that aims to reduce acidification, ground level ozone and particulates by controlling the emissions of sulphur dioxide, oxides of nitrogen and dust from large combustion plants. To reduce emissions a Boosted Over Fire Air plant was fitted to reduce the concentration of oxides of nitrogen in the flue gas. The station closed on 15 March 2013, earlier than expected.

Scottish Power are currently considering replacing it with a Combined Cycle Gas Turbine (CCGT) power station. Natural gas is a much more efficient fuel than coal and will more than halve carbon and nitrogen dioxide emissions compared to the existing power station. If the station is built, it will require a 11 mile (17 km) gas pipeline from East Fortune, to supply it with fuel.

Oh and not to forget, I'd like to give a big thanks to Bigjobs and FB for letting me tag along and providing me some
much needed leg ups!

13930952228_1edcb7f7c7_c.jpg

14114281261_fecfc47a81_c.jpg

13930972120_881d8233d8_c.jpg

13930948079_d962e18043_c.jpg

14137667353_35bf9ab713_c.jpg

13930944889_ab1dbed2e4_c.jpg

13930978968_222dac3a0d_c.jpg

14114299051_3a846e05b6_c.jpg

13930968628_faa0f95e68_c.jpg

14117929854_1d0ac3cfcc_c.jpg

13930926899_0c2ce85635_c.jpg

14137641163_73521b79ed_c.jpg

14114289081_976a223af1_c.jpg

14117924734_886fb39e8d_c.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Really glad you peeps made the effort with this, shame to see them being ripped apart like this, but hey, it's the way for them all now.. sad times :(

Well captured all the same :thumb

m9

big in japan
Regular User
Nice pictures. Mine are absolute bilge - was feeling a bit dejected after discovering how knackered it was, although I wasn't really sure why I was expecting anything different.

Paradox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for the comments and likes peeps :)

Nice pictures. Mine are absolute bilge - was feeling a bit dejected after discovering how knackered it was, although I wasn't really sure why I was expecting anything different.

I can understand that seeing some of the places you have done before, I didn't really have anything to compare it against and and to be fair Im easily impressed :p:

Paradox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks guys and glad you liked the pics :) you're right Wevsky it is a shame, they seem to be well on the way with it too :(