real time web analytics
Cockerill Sambre power plant, Chaleroi, Belgium - March 2020 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Cockerill Sambre power plant, Chaleroi, Belgium - March 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Nathan.H

https://www.flickr.com/photos/184673330@N08/
28DL Full Member
This famous abandoned power plant dates back to the beginning of the XXth century and houses some very old generators which make it particularly interesting. Even if this place havec been photographed again and again I realy wanted to see it from my own eyes, as it is extremely rare to find such old machinery. The plant is made of two turbine halls, the older one housing two ACEC Rotary Converters, two turbo-alternators and an ACEC blower, and the other one contain 3 ACEC turbines. I don't know where the steam was produced as I have not seen any boilers, they probably have been demolished. The future of this building is uncertain and it will probably be demolished, which is a shame knowing how historical the machinery it houses is...

Pictures

DSC_0131-HDR-2.jpg

The rotary ronverters have been damaged by metal thieves

DSC_0137-HDR-3.jpg

The two Rotary Converters and turbines, symmetrically positioned

DSC_0140-HDR.jpg

The Rotary Converters and the ACEC blower

DSC_0136-HDR.jpg

Old damaged controls

DSC_0141-2.jpg

The blower engine with it's beautiful ACEC logo

DSC_0146.jpg

The second hall, where the turbines seems to have been spared by the scrappers for now.

DSC_0147-HDR.jpg

I noticed that the ACEC metal logos have been stolen

DSC_0118-3.jpg

Transformers room

DSC_0115.jpg

Switch room

DSC_0122.jpg

Warning signs

Last edited:

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
Lovely, I really couldnt find the second smaller second hall whilst I was there! which end is it?!
How is the rest of the place looking? Are they tearing mroe of it down?

Nathan.H

https://www.flickr.com/photos/184673330@N08/
28DL Full Member
Lovely, I really couldnt find the second smaller second hall whilst I was there! which end is it?!
How is the rest of the place looking? Are they tearing mroe of it down?
Yeah the demolition is still progressing, now there is almost nothing left of the steel mill. There are only the blast furnace, power plant and train workshops left. I think I will do a report about it soon.
And the second turbine hall is this building:
1599423224562.png

Imba

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
These pics are fantastic, good job! Really need to check this out one day...