real time web analytics
Report - - Cocking Lime Works - Sussex - March 2018 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cocking Lime Works - Sussex - March 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WilsonTheHuman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Heard of this place a few years back but never had the ability to travel over to it , silly really as it's only about half an hour away from where I've been living for the last few years! Teamed up with some friends and headed off to hit this place up, my first proper explore! (Be kind guys, I'm still rather new to this but the bug's bitten me good!)

History: The site was the source of lime used in the production of Midhurst White Bricks and also for agricultural purposes. The earliest known mention of workings at the site was in 1715, when two flared lime kilns were reported to be in use. Over the years the works developed into the industrial site we see today with a roadway between the quarry and site and a group of large buildings housing machines for processing the chalk into lime. All work ceased at the site in 1999.

The buildings consist of a large grinding machine and hopper, that feeds directly onto a conveyor leading into a two storey building housing further grinding machines and conveyors. There's a lot of interesting things to look at, mostly fuse boxes, switches, levers, and machinery. The lower level contains a large storage barn area and a rusting truck, as well as a small hut and remains of a garage area. A bank of kilns runs along the right hand side, accessed by steps tucked away to one side. I didn't go up there due to the tops being unstable but you can climb the steps and look down into them. The site has a quarry associated, but we didn't visit that due to light fading and having another explore planned.

Without further ado, here are the photos!

IMG_6583.jpg

IMG_6584.jpg

IMG_6587.jpg

IMG_6589.jpg

IMG_6590.jpg

IMG_6591.jpg

IMG_6593.jpg

IMG_6594.jpg

IMG_6595.jpg

IMG_6596.jpg

IMG_6598.jpg

IMG_6604.jpg

IMG_6605.jpg

IMG_6607.jpg

IMG_6608.jpg

IMG_6609.jpg

IMG_6614.jpg

IMG_6624.jpg

IMG_6625.jpg

IMG_6635.jpg

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
looks an interesting little site, there is (or was) an abandoned dragline excavator there, probably in the quarry section. Be careful in chalk quarries they can be very slippery in places, especially when wet, I explored some of the chalk quarries in Kent when I lived there, mostly the big Culand pits at Burham.

moopudped

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The last photo is a bit freaky, who writes a love note in the mouth of a rock crusher? These things are terrifying when running!

WilsonTheHuman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
looks an interesting little site, there is (or was) an abandoned dragline excavator there, probably in the quarry section. Be careful in chalk quarries they can be very slippery in places, especially when wet, I explored some of the chalk quarries in Kent when I lived there, mostly the big Culand pits at Burham.
Yes that is up at the quarry, but we didn't go up that way due to it being wet and muddy, and the light was fading. It's one I'd like to return to though, it's an interesting place!

Ste1000

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Don't park outside the gate for this one, I got asked to leave by the police.
They were ok when I showed them I was just taking photos.