real time web analytics
Report - - Coed Talon Brickworks - Aug. 2009 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Coed Talon Brickworks - Aug. 2009

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

BenCooper

Mr Boombastic
28DL Full Member
I don't know much about this - didn't even know it was a brickworks until I got home and googled it - this was a chance find on the way back from Brymbo...

3882071505_7fb4652076.jpg

3882872824_22b628fc69.jpg

3882086281_8db8313a3f.jpg

3882105299_d56c08daaf.jpg

3882910998_71f1b3630f.jpg

54Strat

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
From my original report...

Although this place has been gutted when it was vacated there's no real sign of vandalism even after 7 years, just natural dereliction. After spending a few hours here over the last week or so I found it to have a real organic charm. I'm sure this place has been done before, though I couldn't find it with a site search on here so here's a bit of history just in case...

The site was originally the Gem Brick Tile and Terra Cotta Works Company and locals still refer to the site as the 'Gem'. In 1901 it was voluntary wound up and the Alyn Brick Tile & Terracota Company took over. The chimney was added in 1911 (built by Ephram Jones). By 1916 the plant had closed and it was then refitted as a silica works by Colin Steward Ltd. Local hard silica sandstone was taken from a quarry above the site and transported in trams down a cable tramway (there's still the remains of the winding houses up in nearby fields) The stone was then ground down to powder that was used by Lever Bros as the scouring agent in 'Vim'. The plant produced 600 tons of powder per week which was transported by rail from a private siding. The silica dust by-product was diverted to the chimney where it was captured by a water spray and piped to a nearby pond where it solidified and reclaimed the pond and marsh back into land. Colin Stewart Ltd closed when Levers ended the contract in 1959, More recently, the site was acquired by Clwyd Alloys, and was used as a foundry for the reclaimation of scrap metal. The site closed in 2002, and outline plans for housing have been submitted.

There's numerous structures dating from all periods with up to three floors in places. There's what looks like a couple of vibrating tables, hoppers and other left over bits and pieces that were probably too bespoke to be used elsewhere. Water for the plant was taken from the Nant that flows underneath the site and there's a handful of access points for this. There's also an old Pooley weighbridge, dated 1948 that's in great condition.

Mods, should I post the complete report up again seeing as it's gone?

Llywelyn

28DL Member
28DL Member
hey dude I live local to it, how did you access it since Imdieing to go there before it probably gets demolished! Please help!

Llywelyn

28DL Member
28DL Member
still not been? im local too going on saturday doing a fat urbex day
True I haven’t used this for 7 years but I got an email haha. It’s very over grown now not been since this post, if you go down school lane I think it is then there used to be a gap in the fence on the right, opposite the abandoned school which you could climb up and over the little hill and then you’re straight in. The site is definitely more abandoned than it was then it’s very overgrown so take care with that, believe that one of the small out buildings that was an office is gone now too as there was a fire and they demolished it. Also worth a visit to the abandoned school right next to it on school lane, which used to be accessible via the kids park on the football field if you climbed the fence. Enjoy!

moldandasbestos

moldandasbestos
28DL Full Member
True I haven’t used this for 7 years but I got an email haha. It’s very over grown now not been since this post, if you go down school lane I think it is then there used to be a gap in the fence on the right, opposite the abandoned school which you could climb up and over the little hill and then you’re straight in. The site is definitely more abandoned than it was then it’s very overgrown so take care with that, believe that one of the small out buildings that was an office is gone now too as there was a fire and they demolished it. Also worth a visit to the abandoned school right next to it on school lane, which used to be accessible via the kids park on the football field if you climbed the fence. Enjoy!
Hello mate enjoy another email, still haven’t been as my mate changed plans i don’t drive and neither does he but soon he will be passing. Meaning we can go lol, from wrexham myself but where it is i’d a pain in the ass to get ti