real time web analytics
Report - - Colin’s Barn, Gloucestershire. May 2021 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Colin’s Barn, Gloucestershire. May 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RXQueen

T-Rex Urbex
28DL Full Member
Visited with @Chloe Explores and Zoe.

As we were up in the beautiful Cotswolds and surrounding areas we decided to try our luck with “the hobbit house“. We were aware that the farmer wasn’t the most pleasant of people but as it was around dinner time we decided to give it a go hoping he was too busy eating to bother us.

The driveway leading to the property is gated and has a camera so we hatched a plan involving fences and fields, staying near the hedge line to avoid detection. Our swift stealthiness paid off and we found the barn.

Ive seen plenty of photos of the barn and it looks amazing, seeing it in person was breathtaking. The skill and attention to detail is fabulous. We allowed ourselves half an hour to explore and leave knowing the farmer could appear at any minute. So a short explore but enough time to get our photos and look around. The inside is lovely as well, it’s funny to think this was built for someone’s sheep! We knew someone was buried in there and thought it was the farmers (who built it) wife for some reason but it’s not, it’s a goose buried in there. Must have been a special goose to be buried in such a fantastic little place.

We left the way we came and got back to the car undetected, said hi to a horse and went on to the next destination.

History -

from AtlasObscura

Colin Stokes wanted to build a barn to store hay and house his sheep. Then he “got a bit carried away,” and ended up with a castle that looks like something out of The Lord of the Rings.

The Hobbit House, also known as Colin’s Barn, in Gloucestershire, has been abandoned since Stokes moved away in 2000 to avoid the noise of a forest marble quarry opening up nearby. He never finished his project, which he had started 1989 using rocks and stones from around his property, and concrete to hold them together.

Inspired by buildings he had seen over the years, Stokes started with a simple rectangular structure, put up with dry-stone techniques. Then he just kept going. He added turrets and dovecotes, stained glass windows featuring the seasons and the elements (which Stokes made himself), a spiral staircase, and beautiful arches. All of it was done by hand, and with no plans drawn up in advance.

Several birds, including an owl, lived in the turrets and dovecotes while Stokes was building, and those parts are now dominated by birds. On the second floor, Stokes added a room for himself so he could live in the structure during lambing season, though he mostly lived in a nearby cottage.

Built to blend into its surroundings, the building has come to be known as the “Hobbit House,” though Stokes takes issue with the nickname. He thought of it simply as his barn. To be fair, unlike a hobbit’s home, the structure is not built into the side of a hill. But it does look a bit like a hill itself. The barn is a little difficult to find, and is on private land. A sign discourages visitors, but it doesn’t seem to work. The structure is still in very good condition—a testament to the builder’s skill.

RXQueen

T-Rex Urbex
28DL Full Member
love this place! really good photos of it!
The owner threatened me when I visited, said he was knocking it down.
I went home and applied for it to be a listed building, its now grade 2 listed!
Will defiantly be harder for him to knock it down now.
Fantastic

Guffers158

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
For real,

thats mad!
I've lived in Gloucestershire all my life and have never seen or heard of this. Will definitely need to check this out!

UnknownAX

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I wasn't sure what to expect when I saw the thread's name "Colin Barn" at first I thought it could've just been someone's barn, I wouldn't put it past someone to actually explore a barn and rave how amazing it was. This on the other hand is quite simply an amazing find, very nice report.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User

Can you do that? I mean surely there is a lot more to a place being listed than just someone asking for it to be?

urbexur1999

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Give the farmer a knock hes really friendly & is sure to let u have a look round ;-)
He was not very friendly to me haha told me to drown myself actually lol ?? bit of an odd insult
maybe he has changed his tune now the building is listed.

Who has read this thread (Total: 288) View details