real time web analytics
Report - - College Of The Holy Child Of Jesus, Hastings 2010 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - College Of The Holy Child Of Jesus, Hastings 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Rookinella

I should have danced all night
28DL Full Member
Visited with Havoc and Jaff.

After a heart attack-inducing night running around Hoogstraten's mansion, we were desperate for a place to kip for a couple of hours before the sun came up. Luckily, not far away was this little gem found by the local guys-great stuff :thumb

We didn't get any sleep but the thought was there so by 7am, we were up and about and ready to have a poke around this beautiful building. Here's a bit of blurb about its history and what it was used for before becoming a playground for such degenerates as us.

The building is situated on the western boundary of a large convent site, originally purchased in 1834 by the Rev. Jones with a bequest of loads of money from Lady Stanley of Puddington. In 1848 nuns of the newly formed Catholic teaching order, "The Society of the Holy Child Jesus" moved into the convent. The architect William Wilkinson Wardell was employed to complete the convent building and design a Girls Poor School and entrance in the boundary walls, which had been erected in the middle of the 1830s. The foundation of the Girls Poor School was laid in 1849 and the entrance arch built in 1850. The Girls Poor School is now known as The Gatehouse. Wardell also built a presbytery on the site in 1856 and at about the same time the founder of the order, Cornelia Connelly, received permission from the Catholic church hierarchy to build a training college, which was built to the south of the girls Poor School. The entire building is shown on the 1873 Ordnance Survey map but it is likely that the northern part could have been built originally as part of the school, circa 1849, and the southern part was built as the training college circa 1856 as there is a change in character. The northern part has ogee-headed double lancet windows and the southern part trefoil-headed windows and there is a change in level at the junction of the two sections. The Training College closed in 1862 and he building became the Middle School. In 1883 the Middle School was re-located to Mayfield and the Junior School moved into the building. At this time a tunnel was built connecting the building to the main convent building. In 1914 it is thought that the northern part of the building was heightened by a storey. In 1974 "The Society of the Holy Child Jesus" moved the whole school to Mayfield and in 1976 the site was bought for use as a summer language school, in which use it has remained up to the present day.

_DSC0842-1.jpg

_DSC0837.jpg

_DSC0833.jpg

_DSC0828.jpg

_DSC0825.jpg

_DSC0820.jpg

_DSC0819.jpg

_DSC0817.jpg

_DSC0814.jpg

_DSC0813.jpg

_DSC0812.jpg

_DSC0811-1.jpg

_DSC0809-1.jpg

_DSC0807.jpg

_DSC0805.jpg

_DSC0804-1.jpg

_DSC0803.jpg

_DSC0800.jpg

_DSC0799-1.jpg

_DSC0798.jpg

_DSC0795.jpg

_DSC0794.jpg

_DSC0786.jpg

_DSC0785.jpg

_DSC0784-1.jpg

_DSC0782.jpg

_DSC0780-1.jpg

_DSC0779.jpg

_DSC0776.jpg

Millsy2019

History-hunters uk
28DL Full Member
This hs always been on my list worse part is I can leave my door and stare straight at the place I've got the owners phone number but seems to pull you along on the hope you'll get to see it