Web
Analytics
Report - - College Of The Holy Child Of Jesus, Hastings 2010 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - College Of The Holy Child Of Jesus, Hastings 2010

Rookinella

I should have danced all night
28DL Full Member
#1
Visited with Havoc and Jaff.

After a heart attack-inducing night running around Hoogstraten's mansion, we were desperate for a place to kip for a couple of hours before the sun came up. Luckily, not far away was this little gem found by the local guys-great stuff :thumb

We didn't get any sleep but the thought was there so by 7am, we were up and about and ready to have a poke around this beautiful building. Here's a bit of blurb about its history and what it was used for before becoming a playground for such degenerates as us.

The building is situated on the western boundary of a large convent site, originally purchased in 1834 by the Rev. Jones with a bequest of loads of money from Lady Stanley of Puddington. In 1848 nuns of the newly formed Catholic teaching order, "The Society of the Holy Child Jesus" moved into the convent. The architect William Wilkinson Wardell was employed to complete the convent building and design a Girls Poor School and entrance in the boundary walls, which had been erected in the middle of the 1830s. The foundation of the Girls Poor School was laid in 1849 and the entrance arch built in 1850. The Girls Poor School is now known as The Gatehouse. Wardell also built a presbytery on the site in 1856 and at about the same time the founder of the order, Cornelia Connelly, received permission from the Catholic church hierarchy to build a training college, which was built to the south of the girls Poor School. The entire building is shown on the 1873 Ordnance Survey map but it is likely that the northern part could have been built originally as part of the school, circa 1849, and the southern part was built as the training college circa 1856 as there is a change in character. The northern part has ogee-headed double lancet windows and the southern part trefoil-headed windows and there is a change in level at the junction of the two sections. The Training College closed in 1862 and he building became the Middle School. In 1883 the Middle School was re-located to Mayfield and the Junior School moved into the building. At this time a tunnel was built connecting the building to the main convent building. In 1914 it is thought that the northern part of the building was heightened by a storey. In 1974 "The Society of the Holy Child Jesus" moved the whole school to Mayfield and in 1976 the site was bought for use as a summer language school, in which use it has remained up to the present day.

_DSC0842-1.jpg


_DSC0837.jpg


_DSC0833.jpg


_DSC0828.jpg


_DSC0825.jpg


_DSC0820.jpg


_DSC0819.jpg


_DSC0817.jpg


_DSC0814.jpg


_DSC0813.jpg


_DSC0812.jpg


_DSC0811-1.jpg


_DSC0809-1.jpg


_DSC0807.jpg


_DSC0805.jpg


_DSC0804-1.jpg


_DSC0803.jpg


_DSC0800.jpg


_DSC0799-1.jpg


_DSC0798.jpg


_DSC0795.jpg


_DSC0794.jpg


_DSC0786.jpg


_DSC0785.jpg


_DSC0784-1.jpg


_DSC0782.jpg


_DSC0780-1.jpg


_DSC0779.jpg


_DSC0776.jpg
 

Attachments

Similar threads