real time web analytics
Report - - Conclog slate mine, Blaenau Dec 20 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Conclog slate mine, Blaenau Dec 20

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

monk

mature
28DL Full Member
Conglog quarry was a small enterprise situated to the north-west of Tanygrisiau, near Blaenau Ffestiniog in Wales. It was overshadowed by the much bigger Rhosydd quarry a little further to the west. It was active from 1854 to 1910, and was operated by an individual, two partnerships and four separate companies over this period.

Walked over this one a few times on my way up to Rhosydd, a nice little mine and worth the breaching of wellies to visit .

Finally visited with Sparky & my boy, this one turned out to be a pain in the arse to find with a few dead ends.
From the path upwards you can see three potential shafts and one adit, the adit is flooded beyond wellie height so was a no go.

Looking inside one of the three holes.
With ropes its possible but I suspect not worth it.

Looking back at the ruins of the mill (centre) and Tan-yr-Allt Cottages (left)

After a quick chat with Alex from here, he gave me a pointer of where to look, so a return visit was made.

Another adit on the correct side and we're sure this is it, a very small straight tunnel going nowhere, I apologise to the lads with a "I thought it was better than this" speech

We grab a few snaps and head out, it dawned on me then that Alex's report had a minecart in it, wrong mine again, we hunted abit further up and found a very underwhelming entrance..

We headed in, breached wellies again, but this time it was worth it, a very nice little mine this one, we agreed it was worth the grief.

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
Nice report mate , I see a incline roller is still in there looks like it was a bloody steep incline inside the mine to say the least !

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Persistence paid off with a little help from one of our great members. Great shots of all you explored there. I do like these Wales sites. :thumb

Blackeyed

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Love seeing pictures of places like this. In my area we don't really have any explorable mines. Nice photo's. Thanks for sharing. :thumb

Fluffy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Awesome. North Wales strikes again.

If you ever want to keep warm up Cwm Orthin the top adit of Conglog blasts out warm air. Very nice when it's 2 or 3 degrees outside.

That's amazing! I never knew that. Haha. Fascinating!

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
I think you can get up to the tunnel thats in the open chamber from the inside. I recall there is a rope on the left of the minecart coming from the roof. My map of the mine suggests it meets up with the tunnel.

monk

mature
28DL Full Member
I think you can get up to the tunnel thats in the open chamber from the inside. I recall there is a rope on the left of the minecart coming from the roof. My map of the mine suggests it meets up with the tunnel.

Interesting.
I didn't notice the rope when we went.

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
Interesting.
I didn't notice the rope when we went.

This is the only picture I have with the rope in it, you can just about see it behind the rubbish wagon. I wonder if its the same one that on top of the roof fall in your photos.

bY1TrAW.jpg