real time web analytics
Report - - Conglog Slate Quarry - News Year Day '18 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Conglog Slate Quarry - News Year Day '18

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
Seeing as there is only report on Conglog from 2012 I thought I would post some of my pictures here.

History:
There really Isn't much to say about Conglog, it is a small mine located between Rhossyd and Cwmorthin. It was served by an extension of the Cwmorthin tramway up the valley. which was built in 1874. In 1865 there was a dispute with Rhosydd when they built their cottages right next to the Conglog mill.

Wiki Article

It is a nice little mine but not really worth a trip in its own right and there is rather a large amount of the former roof now on the floor.

Now for some pictures:

An overview of the mill area, the managers house is in the trees to the left. Front left is the remains of an aqueduct that was used to power the mill.

Aqueduct remains

The first junction in the adit, there is a dug out area on the left with some equipment left in it. The rails had to be removed rather than used as a switch.

Reverse view

At the end of the adit is a rockfall which must have blocked access but has been dug out. It was less of a fall and more of a slide.

The dagger like slate chunk that has fallen from the roof, behind it is a collection of wagon parts that was presumably assembled by other explorers.

Remains of an old wooden cart, it just about still rolls.

A more modern waste wagon also remains in this room still full of waste rock from the last days of the mine.

A cross roads. Straight ahead is the chamber with the fall, Left is the room with the mine carts in. Right goes to some old workings with evidence of a former railway and behind continues for a fair distance until it just stops.

From on top of the rock fall.

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
It might only be small but its a rather cool little mine, and the carts still have wheels! Decent report.

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
There really Isn't much to say about Conglog, it is a small mine located between Rhossyd and Cwmorthin. It was served by an extension of the Cwmorthin tramway up the valley. which was built in 1874. In 1865 there was a dispute with Rhosydd when they built their cottages right next to the Conglog mill.
Lovely little mine and decent pictures, here is some history that I have scanned from a book that I have about the Conglog slate quarry, just right click it and save it and zoom in, it mentions he cottages :thumb
Conglog history.jpg

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
Lovely little mine and decent pictures, here is some history that I have scanned from a book that I have about the Conglog slate quarry.

Thanks for the extract. Do you know how big the workings are on the level that was served by the incline? I have gotten into the open air chamber behind the winding house but there is a collapse blocking access to the next chamber.

There is also an older tunnel which is now inaccessible as it is half way up the now opened up chamber, I would love to get in there.

conglog.jpg