real time web analytics
Report - - Conwy Suspension & Rail Bridges - Jan '12 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Conwy Suspension & Rail Bridges - Jan '12

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Rookie

28DL Member
28DL Full Member
Visited with Gone

After getting a call off Gone, saying he was coming down my way for a few days, it was up to me to pull an explore out the bag and these are pretty much right on my doorstep. Nothing epic but worth a look if you're about.

I'd done the suspension bridge about a year ago but ended up forgetting about the rail bridge.

Suspension Bridge:
Conwy Suspension Bridge, was one of the first road suspension bridges in the world. It originally carried the A55 road but is now used as a footbridge.
Built by Thomas Telford, the bridge was completed in 1826 and replaced the ferry at the same point. Telford matched the bridge's supporting towers with the castle's turrets, in the same style as one of Telford's other bridges, the Menai Suspension Bridge. Telford's bridge was the only crossing of the river at that time.
Part of the castle had to be demolished during construction in order for the suspension cables to be anchored into the rock.

Rail Bridge:
Conwy railway bridge carries the North Wales coast railway line across the River Conwy. The wrought iron tubular bridge was built by Robert Stephenson and is similar to his other famous tubular bridge, the Britannia Bridge.
It was officially opened in 1849, but had been completed in 1848. Being the first tubular bridge to be built, the design needed much testing on prototypes to make sure it could cope with carrying heavy locomotives. The successful result enabled the much larger Britannia bridge to be built. The current bridge has been reinforced by extra columns under the bridge into the river, but is otherwise virtually unchanged since it was built.

Right, first off, a shot off the suspension bridge

IMG_0027resize.jpg

And the Rail bridge

IMG_0051resize.jpg

IMG_0047resize.jpg

One off the castle-side tower

IMG_0034rezise.jpg

And looking back

IMG_0063resize.jpg

North Wales does have it's perks though and a little over 12 hours later, we were exploring a different type of location...

Mount Snowdon...over 3,500ft, 3 feet of snow. Happy days!

IMG_0136resize.jpg

IMG_01743resize_stitch.jpg

Cheers for looking, Rookie.