Web
Analytics
Report - - Cookridge Hospital, Leeds (May 2017) | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cookridge Hospital, Leeds (May 2017)



moz88

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
#1
Cookridge Hospital opened in 1869 as a 'Hospital for the Convalescent Poor in Leeds' in order to lighten the burden of inpatients in recovery at Leeds General Infirmary, and allow them to recuperate 'where patients could be cheered up among the bracken and pure air'. The main building and the lodge were designed by Norman Shaw in 1868 in a gothic vernacular style, and were funded by John North who gifted £6,000 in memory of his daughter Ida. The hospital site closed in 2008 and has been left abandoned.

Initially run as a private enterprise, the hospital was requisitioned during the world wars for wounded servicemen. In the 1950's the hospital was re-purposed as a cancer research and treatment facility which was at the forefront of cancer research until its closure.

Looking at the older reports this site appears to have been a lot larger upon closure and only the grade II* listed buildings remain.

PICS!

Ida Ward
36976088811_1a792288ec_c.jpg


36720883080_690dbe5773_c.jpg


36929105686_e516cf2b10_c.jpg


37117472075_bedcd8f5e0_c.jpg


37117465655_7151d3cbb3_c.jpg



Main Building
36947270022_2715def393_c.jpg



36720863930_84fd674ef8_c.jpg


36929146346_9f8ee19f7f_c.jpg


37117518995_9c7dc67791_c.jpg


36282009604_44e5da163d_c.jpg


37117487965_b6ed56e682_c.jpg
 
Last edited: