real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - Corah, Leicester (in use) - October 2013 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) Corah, Leicester (in use) - October 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Six

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So before you get all "a permission visit to Corah, what a moron".
We'd already covered the parts that weren't in use extensively over a number of visits and as Corah is a place quite close to my heart as my Grandma worked there for a number of years (and has regaled us with tales of her being made Supervisor so she was allowed to wander around the factory because they couldn't make her stay in the one room sewing buttons - J department, represent) we thought it might be worth the effort to see the parts in use by various companies.

Dweeb and I set off with high hopes of visiting multiple factories throughout the working day but alas a large number of them told us to politely eff off. Corah wasn't one of them. The pictures are from two different areas being used by two different companies. Both of which told us two very different stories about what they had been told with regards to development of the rest of the site.

One of the business owners told us that after Corah had closed all of the machines were sent off to India and because they wanted the original machines to use in the Factory they had had to spend quite a long time tracking them down and buying them back, quite amusing that they'd gone full circle.

After seeing many a derelict hosiery factory it was pretty amazing to see all the original machines in situ making clothing again (although apparently it was mostly for Primark)

IMG_6215_zps9g7oukmj.jpg

IMG_6229_zpseaur4d42.jpg

IMG_6231_zpsj7pzntv8.jpg

IMG_6237_zpspbjs7sj5.jpg

IMG_6250_zpsxr4jetnu.jpg

IMG_6253_zpsweugsu6c.jpg

IMG_6245_zpsnvjqdv1h.jpg

IMG_6260_zpsix2d8ekq.jpg

IMG_6265_zps9mfeo2zo.jpg

IMG_6262_zpsrcafw6wj.jpg

IMG_6272_zpstijppt7h.jpg

IMG_6275_zpszsp6kvky.jpg

IMG_6276_zpsqbjzeito.jpg

IMG_6280_zpsce7dkcsn.jpg

IMG_6238_zpsn5j5yuvv.jpg

IMG_6244_zpsgwy9ccgv.jpg

Six

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I googled HM Hosiery but everything comes up saying that's on Meridian Business Park?

Ragonesi

28DL Member
28DL Member
Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos. Which part of Corah are they taken from? Could you also let me know the names of the companies you visited? Thanks in advance!

Six

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If you walk into the courtyard of Corah, these were taken in the building to your immediate right.

I don't know the names of the companies unfortunately!

Ragonesi

28DL Member
28DL Member
I think you might be referring to Synergy Textiles, which makes your photos really useful as I'm carrying out a survey on this part of the factory for my architecture diploma project, which is centred on the development of Leicester. I would have liked to take some shots of my own, however, unfortunately, the owners of the company are unwilling to let me look inside - you know with trade secrets and all that! Do you have any other photos of the space, which I could get my hands on? I would really appreciate if you could help me understand where your photos are taken from inside the building. If that's ok, I could send you a plan to mark-up. I know this might sound slightly peculiar, but it would be a great help! Thank you in advance for any further information. My email address is [email protected].

Last edited:

Six

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It was two different companies I visited, however this was 2013 so they could easily have changed by now.

My pictures are mainly of the machinery inside rather than the actual buildings themselves so I don't see how that would aid in an Architecture project. There are hundreds of pictures of Corah online that I'm sure would be more appropriate.

As I say, these pictures were taken in the building on the immediate right when you walk into the courtyard. If you've been there I can't make it more obvious than that?!