real time web analytics
Report - - Corby Steelworks ARP Shelter/Bunker 21/08/09 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Corby Steelworks ARP Shelter/Bunker 21/08/09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

REEF

Getthegirlkillthebaddies
28DL Full Member
Had to spend a few days around this way for work so thought i'd take a look at this place.

Built in the 1940's as a ARP Shelter (WW2). The main tunnel was built big enough for an ambulance to drive down with a turn table at the end for it to turn around.
Later it became a civil defence headquarters and remained in use up to 1968.
After that it became part of the steel works research and development facilities.

Theres a number of rooms down there. Still loads of stuff left although fire has caused some damage.

Hummm
ss2-1.jpg

Is this what I think it is...
ss3-1.jpg

Looking down the main tunnel towards the turntable
ss4-1.jpg

ss6.jpg

ss5.jpg

Fire damage Grrr
ss7.jpg

ss8.jpg

ss9.jpg

ss10.jpg

ss11.jpg

In one of the rooms
ss12.jpg

Any ideas???
ss13.jpg

ss14.jpg

ss15.jpg

Thanks for looking

Last edited:

parkus.

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The main tunnel was built big enough for an Ambilance to drive down with a turn table at the end for it to turn around.

Impressive.. and I don't mean your spelling :rolleyes:

Shame about the fire damage.

Tankman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Its a Radioactive Core, which contained spent fuel rods:eek:

Pic No.2 is a 1950/60's Contamination Meter! I think along with the sign, it says it all:eek:

Pic No.6 looks like an old X-Ray machine?

Could you PM me the location of this Shelter:thumb

REEF

Getthegirlkillthebaddies
28DL Full Member
Thats what I thought it was, what the hell is it doing in there??

Sorry about the spelling :eek:

linerider

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There is a reference to it on Subbrit, but they don't specifically say it's for spent fuel rods:

"In later years the radio room has been adapted with the building of a protected enclosure on the floor for the storage of short cylinders. Its exact purpose is unknown."

[edit]

There's a photo of it here ARP Control Centre Stewarts and Lloyds Steelworks Corby – Subterranea Britannica

"Storage unit installed by British Steel after the civil defence centre closed"

Last edited:

GoatHarraser

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
correct me or delet this post if this sounds stupid but dont x-rays use radioactive material ? and i dont know if an x-ray is out of place there but were they posably testing metals for Consistency ? not shure if any of this is remotely true but its an idea

spungletrumpet

Super Moderator
Staff member
Could it be for storing industrial radioactive sources? The kind of thing they use for non-destructive testing..

urban x

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
went down to this before as its right near where i live but had been shut up tighter than a nuns crutch... interesting to see its been opened would like to know how lol.... there are some above ground buildings near it too. looks like im off there in the next few days.. anyone interested in seeing it give me a shout more than happy to show you it.

Raddog

28DL Full Member
I think that core store will undoubtedly be for NDT radioactive sources, but it's really interesting to see one in situ, with the holder.

tommo

shire lad born & breeding
28DL Full Member
correct me or delet this post if this sounds stupid but dont x-rays use radioactive material ? and i dont know if an x-ray is out of place there but were they posably testing metals for Consistency ? not shure if any of this is remotely true but its an idea

Yeah that's what I was thinking, storage for rods for the x ray machine they would if used to to check the quality of the metal and welding seams

I guess the x ray machines back then could of used stuff like that lol