real time web analytics
Report - - Coryton Oil refinery – Coryton – January 2016 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Coryton Oil refinery – Coryton – January 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mockney reject

Staff member

The History

Only a brief history on here as @slayaaaa has smashed the history for this place

Coryton Refinery was an oil refinery in Essex, England, on the estuary of the River Thames some 28 miles (45 km) from the centre of London, between Shell Haven Creek and Hole Haven Creek, which separates Canvey Island from the mainland.

It was a part of the Port of London and was the last of the three major refineries on the Thames Estuary to remain in operation. Output was delivered by road, sea and rail, and it was linked to Stanlow Refinery in North West England by the UK Oil Pipeline (UKOP). There is a 753 MW gas-firedpower station, opened in 2002 and run by Coryton Energy Co Ltd, part of Intergen.

In January 2012 Petroplus filed for bankruptcy. Coryton Refinery ceased production in June 2012. The site will be turned into a distribution terminal to be called Thames Oil Port.

The Explore

@slayaaaa has this habit of texting me location stuff when he knows I can get out, little fucker lol

So my WhatsApp goes off and I get “I’ve just done Coryton “My first thought is Wanker, then this pics start coming through…. OMG!! He then comes out with we are going back, meaning me and him. So at half 6 Sunday morning I’m picking him up and off we go. Lucking Coryton is on our door step so it didn’t take long and was bloody cold. Luckily @slayaaaa and @Maniac had already scoped out the access a few nights before when they did it so it was easy for us to get in.

Wow what a place, so vast that separate parts of it like the power and substation require their own reports.

The main site is mostly pipes, towers, control panels and slippery floors but awesomely awesome. Possibly the biggest thing I’ve ever done, including Redcar.

Enjoy the pics and keep an eye out for the other parts

DSC_1033_zpsvibc3xp4.jpg

DSC_1043_zps9z4a35ag.jpg

DSC_1046_zpsghbpqdxt.jpg

DSC_1053_zpsl46hvv03.jpg

DSC_1058_zpsk8ypkpcr.jpg

DSC_1060_zpsxcrbaooy.jpg

DSC_1062_zps1en8x6ly.jpg

DSC_1083_zpsmlux8pg1.jpg

DSC_1087_zpstwizlvzi.jpg

DSC_1098_zpsrwa0d7x5.jpg

DSC_1099_zpsiqpy5t46.jpg

DSC_1104_zps4ghgkvjc.jpg

DSC_1105_zps9qutrkee.jpg

DSC_1122_zpspt2abmx3.jpg

DSC_1126_zpsxneig9fl.jpg

DSC_1134_zpsym9l7bcb.jpg

DSC_1163_zpswevstrou.jpg

DSC_1175_zpsdkrashul.jpg

DSC_1182_zpslzberozh.jpg

DSC_1184_zpsviemkv8z.jpg

DSC_1190_zpsnfvoih7i.jpg

DSC_1193_zps8vxsolay.jpg

DSC_1210_zps8f1r4xyk.jpg

DSC_1454_zpsxggy1cv2.jpg

DSC_1466_zpswinutwbo.jpg

DSC_1470_zpswvc7bqhm.jpg

DSC_1476_zpsfejzq4kg.jpg

DSC_1481_zpsmhuahroi.jpg

DSC_1488_zpsek5trlzf.jpg

DSC_1494_zpspgrrend3.jpg

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
Oh that looks a lot nicer during daylight hours than it did at night, nice one for getting on site without being seen! :-)

ChrisHowell

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This place looks huge, how long did it take to explore it all. Good report btw. I'd been keen on visiting this place.

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
Yeah there's not a lot left now, it was well into demolition when we visited!