real time web analytics
Report - - Cotton College, Staffordshire - August 2019 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cotton College, Staffordshire - August 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Cotton College (formerly known as St Wilfrid’s College) was a Roman Catholic boarding school in the village of Cotton in North Staffordshire. The school was centred around Cotton Hall which was a country house used by religious communities from the 1840’s until the school moved there in 1873. Cotton Hall itself dates back to 1630, the oldest parts that survive being rebuilt in the 1700’s by Thomas Gilbert. The college was extended further in the mid to late 1800’s and again in the 1930’s. The school was eventually closed in 1987 and has been derelict ever since. The land & buildings have been owned for the past several years by a construction company based in Leek.

Not the most relaxing of explores with the reputation this place has. Somehow managed to avoid a bollocking on this visit, although I know people who have been before and after and been on the receiving end of a telling off, both from the dog breeder who lives in the old headmaster’s house and from the owners. The weather was grim so the pictures suffered as a result, but it all added to the gloomy, oppressive atmosphere the place has. In truth, there isn’t anything to see inside the buildings, but the 18th century gothic architecture is fantastic.

View attachment

The older parts

The 1930's accommodation block

The large Victorian school building, probably the most photogenic part with the large assembly hall

Remains of some old classrooms with blackboards

Thanks for looking.​

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
Nice stuff, Had this on the list after i drove past it on the way to Towers, also good on yourself for avoiding the dogs!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
A1 , liking the look of this. Very grand exterior, 1630 and rebuilt 1700, wow, just wow. Needs to be kept.

:cool: Lots of nice natural decay there. Loving the old hall & stage, very 1800s, wood panelling etc .Great report :thumb

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Steadily going downhill that is. Good explore though, and you can feel that you're right back in the Victorian times.

vw_golf_nutter

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Whenever i research a place i can put money on it that you have been in a few months before me haha, always one step ahead!
its a beautiful place, really want to go but im so scared of getting bitten by security dogs!

Who has read this thread (Total: 432) View details