real time web analytics
Report - - Cotton Wool and Cloth, A Decade In The Great Mills Of The North | Noteworthy Reports | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cotton Wool and Cloth, A Decade In The Great Mills Of The North

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Yesterday marked the exploration of my 100th textile mill, and as many have done over the past few months I've decided to reflect back over the past decade at some of the sights the textile industry has brought to the table. I've focused on the mills of Lancashire and Yorkshire, although I could share as many photos again from the Scottish wool and Jute industry, as well as the other mills dotted around the UK.

Like coal and shipbuilding, I've developed a heavy interest in the textile industry. The "dark satanic mills" of the North of England are structures to be marvelled at, almost standing as a relic from the days when our empire's need for textiles was relentless. The rise and fall of this once great industry is a fascinating turbulent tale, and the more I learnt the more I wanted to see for myself

A decent mill offers a lot to an explorer. They usually have a tower to climb, stunning tile work to gawk at and are most probably a hundred years old or so, which means your bound to find something of antiquity if you look hard enough. The sight of a mill lying in a valley as you drive over a hill gives me a great felling inside, and if it has broken windows that feeling is accentuated. We've had some great fun in these buildings over the years, working out how to climb fetted rotten towers, or how to get down into the wheel race. Most of all it's been a great experience having the pleasure of a gentle wander around the vast shop floors, imagining them with the clatter of loom or spinning machine.

The images from the 70's and 80's of mill after mill standing idle and being demolished, their chimneys being toppled made me thirsty to see some of these majestic beasts of buildings for myself, and they have not disappointed. On the whole I am easily pleased, a wicker skep or a few stray bobbins will satisfy me that I have seen something from the industry, even if the machines have long since been removed.

Below are a selection of images, not all photographically brilliant, but in my opinion encapsulate a snapshot of an industry which has largely vanished from the North of England...

I just hope I get to see a hundred more before they are all converted or smashed to rubble!

Mill63_zpsbb57228d.jpg

Mill62_zpsb2416b07.jpg
Mill29_zps77786c1d.jpg

Mill39_zpsede0c47c.jpg

Mill35_zpsfc62f601.jpg

Mill34_zps304c4df5.jpg

Mill27_zpsb9dc8f5b.jpg

Mill32_zps6d7c7bbe.jpg

Mill40_zps4ba1266d.jpg
Mill41_zps470d3d01.jpg

Mill44_zps80c3ee98.jpg

Mill49_zpsa6dc82a8.jpg

Mill36_zps92c016d5.jpg
Mill47_zps6e64a10c.jpg

Mill50_zps2767b72e.jpg

Mill53_zps5c24ff10.jpg

Mill59_zps6ca96299.jpg

Mill60_zpsf373d4b7.jpg

Mill61_zps9395d077.jpg
Mill66_zpscacce69c.jpg

Mill55_zps2a481a41.jpg

Mill68_zpsff48b61c.jpg
Mill54_zpsbe2f05c5.jpg

Mill38_zps35b9f508.jpg

Mill52_zps93106bc7.jpg

Mill33_zpsc0ede9b5.jpg

Mill25_zps22a200b7.jpg
Mill23_zpsbd7cd50a.jpg

Mill26_zps916af44f.jpg

Mill28_zps62ca663b.jpg

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
100 mills, there's bound to be a couple in there you beat me to the top of. Not fair.

Nice work though, was a pleasure being at at least some of them with you.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Still a few gems left in the North West partially in use, someone ought to just go and do a permission visit on them all for the sake of seeing them, I think Host made a start on that front

It's also sad to see the demise of these places, and infact a fair few giants in this thread are no Longer, however like yourself are pleased to have been fortunate enough to poke about many of them

Great thread and some decent pics that capture many memories :thumb

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Some mint pictures in there mate. Still not touched the goat yet though.

Don't people who touch the goat have bad things happen to them?

Still time anyway, its like the slowest conversion in the history of conversions!