real time web analytics
Report - - Cowdale Lime works, Buxton, Derbyshire, September 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cowdale Lime works, Buxton, Derbyshire, September 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
1. The History
Lime quarrying has been common in this part of Derbyshire ever since the 1800s. In 1891 fierce competition saw 13 quarry owners consolidate their 17 quarries into the Buxton Lime Firms. They were controlled by four directors who tried to create a monopoly by raising the price of lime. Around the turn of the 20th century they were produced 280,000 tons of lime per year and dominated the industry in Derbyshire. The Cowdale quarry was initially established in 1898 by the New Buxton Lime Co and listed as 'Staden Quarry'. The large stone-built kilns standing 50 foot high included a network of railway sidings above the A6. The four shaft kilns were taken over by the Buxton Lime Firms in 1908 and, shortly afterwards in 1909, three concrete buildings (the gate-house, power house and ancillary building) were built close to the A6 in a highly unusual 'neo-Egyptian' style.

The firm supplied high quality lime to Brunner Mond who finally bought BLF in 1918. In the mid-1920s concrete buttresses were added to the kilns shortly before the works were merged in 1927 to form I.C.I. Ltd. Quarrying ceased in 1948 but the works remained in operation until 1955 in order to store stone. In the latter part of the 20th century the tramlines were removed and some of the mine's buildings were demolished. The remaining works were left to slowly decay.

In 1997 English Heritage assessed the quarry as part of its 'Monument Protection Plan', concluding that the site contained 'very impressive remains'. In 2010 a development proposal by Buxton Water to use the site as a water bottling plant and for storage was tabled. It also included plans for the development of a heritage visitor's centre and heritage trail. This required the need for the establishment of improved road access and the subsequent demolition of the power house. The planning application was refused in June 2011 and again on appeal in September 2012. However the power house was demolished in controversial circumstances in May 2011 just prior to the first planning application on the grounds that the structure was considered 'dangerous' by High Peak Borough Council (Section 80). A pretty tall story given it was built like the proverbial brick shit-house.

This was seen by many as a significant loss in terms of the site’s heritage. The BLF logo on the building was the last that bore such a mark. Shortly after English Heritage scheduled the remaining structures on the site, ensuring the two other BLF buildings and the buttressed kilns were now, thankfully, under statutory protection.

2. The Explore
No idea why I never posted this back in the day. Not the most spectacular explore but interesting and pretty picturesque in equal measures. Remember driving along the A6, before you reach Buxton the monolithic buildings of the former Cowdale lime works rise up on the hill to the left. Next time I was passing parked up on the layby on the A6 and walked back to the entrance. Easy access and a relaxed explore. Remember looking for the powerhouse and being puzzled why we couldn't find it (we didn't know it had been demo'ed at that stage). Then we came across a very big pile of rubble where on one stone could make out the BLF initials.

3. The Pictures:

The first structure you come to is the gatehouse clearly visible from the A6:

15209442440_75c3d76c45_b.jpg

15209423680_f0648229ae_b.jpg

15209486718_e9e82365be_b.jpg

Continuing up the track you come to the ancillary building:

15373107936_f997f73117_b.jpg

A short distance on from this are the four buttressed kilns:

15209526020_1fd0a2a677_b.jpg

15393005311_0435a16372_b.jpg

Where some rather nice street-art by Colorquix:

15209417549_5eef90b751_b.jpg

15209596720_cf7dbf69c9_b.jpg

A couple of internals of the kilns:

15209539949_54117ed4ac_b.jpg

15393043511_e4180c849a_b.jpg

Carrying further on you come to the hoppers:

15209860427_7016a1b7df_b.jpg

And their intricate pulley system:

15395978242_09aa13732a_b.jpg

15209748067_588fb880de_b.jpg

Retracing your steps and going up the track to the top of the mine you reach the quarry itself:

15209675610_b4b63be8da_b.jpg

Now returned back to grazing land:

15209714180_403ec9b35e_b.jpg

And the resting place of an old steam boiler:

15209654799_ddde167677_b.jpg

Last edited:

tigger

mog
Regular User
A rather hot day....it's Cowdale not Cowgate ;)

In 2011 the scene of some wanton destruction of some more of the beautiful early 1900's concrete buildings...power house, another gate house, offices.
There used to be two rather nice small brick pumphouses close to the Buxton side entrance. One has definitely gone but the other remains hidden by vegetation I think.

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
A rather hot day....it's Cowdale not Cowgate ;)

In 2011 the scene of some wanton destruction of some more of the beautiful early 1900's concrete buildings...power house, another gate house, offices.
There used to be two rather nice small brick pumphouses close to the Buxton side entrance. One has definitely gone but the other remains hidden by vegetation I think.

Thank you @tigger Duly corrected! Need a revisit by the looks of it...

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
When I went it seemed that the old quarry itself had recently been sold and is now a protected site for owls with a lot of new fencing. There are also signs saying about no overnight staying and no fires which sort of insinuated a day visit is ok so i quietly had a little look around but then left the field as I wasn't sure if I should be there or not. It is a lovely bit of land though and up on the hill a shadow quickly ran across the ridge and down the other side. If we had wolves I would say that's what it was but I guess it was a stray dog or a really big fox.

I've been to a few raves at this place back in the day but for the life of me I can't remember what we knew it as. I keep thinking somthing like megatron but I might be just thinking of sheffield.
When I went the kilns were quite wet inside and I think i must have found the hardest way up to the top buildings as possible lol.

Nice pics, I dont remember the boiler, I must have missed it.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Rather nice ramble there. Very comprehensive report, what a crying shame about the powerhouse, I do hate such destruction. Im glad English Heritage stepped in. Really nice shots kilns & pulley & boiler.:thumb

Who has read this thread (Total: 156) View details