real time web analytics
Report - - Cowling Mill Engine House, Chorley March 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cowling Mill Engine House, Chorley March 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Some of you may remember my report of "the gauntlet" that was Eckersley mill's engine hall a few years ago... I can safely say the sequel "Gauntlet II" was just as hard, interesting and fetted as the first.

After a run of success in mill country I left Host and went solo in search of more to quench my increasing thirst to see more of "cottonopolis", although this mill is technically located in "Spindleton", the surrounding mill towns of Manchester.

The mill is a typical Edwardian affair, partly in use, partly empty and in some cases ruinous. After making my way round to the engine house it seemed there was just enough space to get into the usual network of pipe tunnels. Well they were once pipe tunnels... it seems the small businesses that use the mill find the space a handy hole to dump anything from tires to broken plant pots in. The tunnels are about a foot or two deep in water, and the route I chose through them was through the "car bumper section", ever concious that I was one Mondeo bumper cracking away from lying in the drink. I eventually found a way up to what would have been engine level.

The hall has obviously been ruinous for decades, as the mulch which has been produced from the wooden roof rotting has provided substantial rooting for a small woodland inside the walls. That said there were plenty of original features. Gas lamps, enamel shades, bells, switches and even an indicator panel which has some bakelite labels with the names of the mill's floors.

The rope race was intact, but with a more modern framework inside it. As always the crane still sits proudly on it's rails.

Not the best I have ever seen, but always good to see another engine hall, especially one I can't say I've ever seen before.

The fetted obstacle course that is the steam tunnels
DSC_0715_zpshxyz44no.jpg
DSC_0720_zpsrbvp51gs.jpg

DSC_0726_zpshikp0xmx.jpg

DSC_0729_zpsvt4epcrd.jpg
DSC_0731_zps8z6ljbh6.jpg

DSC_0737_zpshjecwtev.jpg
DSC_0746_zpsejcdvgpj.jpg

DSC_0739_zps5goxigzr.jpg

"Mule" and "Ring" refer to the type of looms.
DSC_0745_zpsuzybqawt.jpg

Gas lamp knuckle and the electric lighting that superseded it.
DSC_0747_zpscbejbgdm.jpg
DSC_0750_zpszamr3xxd.jpg

DSC_0751_zpshd7bm5o7.jpg
DSC_0756_zpsk4lnwcw9.jpg

DSC_0764_zps8rhjojep.jpg

DSC_0770_zpst9nl95sf.jpg
DSC_0724_zpsk661ycrg.jpg

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cracking report mate, glad you went and did this not seen it it in a long time. whats that now 104-5..

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Gas lamp knuckle and the electric lighting that superseded it.
DSC_0747_zpscbejbgdm.jpg
DSC_0750_zpszamr3xxd.jpg

Interesting tit bit I read today. The mill's electricity was generated by a dynamo which was powered by the mill's engine. So one would assume the engine hall was lit by gas when the engine was not running... So the above statement may not have been accurate!

Baggy trousers

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great little report that Dweeb, ive just found out the mills up for sale with planning permission to demolish it an turn it into a housing estate....