real time web analytics
Report - - Craig Dunain Hospital Superintendant's House, April '16 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Craig Dunain Hospital Superintendant's House, April '16

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
It was over ten years ago now that Riddlers, Disco Kitten and I made the epic drive in Disco's little KA to Craig Dunain. At the time it was said to be "The Cane Hill of Scotland".

Sadly, other than seeing the hall we were foiled by this man.

Craig%20Dunain%2046_zpsvwdqxxzz.jpg

This years trip was on the back of a trip to Ben Nevis. The day after battling with horizontal snow and epic wind I drove up to see if we could attempt to see at least something of Craig Dunain before it is totally converted.

Before we reached the hospital we spotted this place, which was the Superintendent's house. It is a beautiful grand house, which has had very little modernization over the years despite an obvious change of use in more recent times.

It pretty much ticked every box for me... old wallpaper, nice plasterwork, tiled floors as well as period light fittings, switches and lead plumbing.

The sheer size of the house, coupled with servant pushes in most of the main rooms makes you think what a high position being in charge of an asylum must have been!

DSC_0041_zpshxhv66v7.jpg

DSC_0030_zpsugf5etu9.jpg

DSC_0028_zpspolirbuo.jpg

DSC_0031_zps8hgfzzzp.jpg

DSC_0033_zpscmskuolt.jpg

DSC_0027_zpsr2rxpnxc.jpg

DSC_0032_zpsnowrccbs.jpg

DSC_0034_zpsuiu4li9v.jpg

DSC_0035_zpsbwdjzp6a.jpg

DSC_0025_zpsflyzxzsr.jpg

DSC_0037_zpsiimwo1he.jpg

DSC_0036_zps7aqxwpjq.jpg
DSC_0040_zpsbknf1m5b.jpg

DSC_0010_zpstnrij0np.jpg

Servant bell push
DSC_0011_zpszux6un5j.jpg

DSC_0007_zpssr6lwgjz.jpg

DSC_0012_zpsyekjaz1y.jpg

THAT wallpaper!
DSC_0013_zpsqrmfvlx6.jpg

DSC_0014_zpsckmb75ol.jpg

DSC_0018_zpsvydauvms.jpg

DSC_0021_zpsqqccio0j.jpg

View attachment 680889

We eventually ventured on to the hospital itself but I got distracted by a pile of soil behind some herras fencing which was glistening with broken pottery. I literally walked round the herras, and started rummaging. Just when it was bearing fruit a very angry little security leprechaun magically appeared from nowhere. Things got very heated very quickly and our angry little man began to say "I'm calling the police, this is dangerous, come out or I'LL COME AND GET YOU OUT!!"
At this point I figured we had seen all we were going to at Craig Dunain that day. Perhaps it will still be there when I am 40 and I can have another try....

DSC_0045_zps0rlt8hq7.jpg

DSC_0044_zpstcuzrsh5.jpg

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Half decent :p

It's half more than you have! I actually found three bits, all the same part of the crest! No tip though, it's all just scattered about where they are building houses.