real time web analytics
Report - - Crank caverns billinge January 2015 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Crank caverns billinge January 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lavino

28DL Full Member
Been here today crank caverns billinge nice little explore not to hard to find here's a little video as I don't no how upload pictures and I'll add a bit of a tale to the place I found interesting http://youtu.be/1CIL3Ops5xw

Lavino

28DL Full Member
There are many legends attached to these caves so I will do my best to reproduce them here the first one concerns an account of children who went missing here back in the 18th century and is as follows: Four children decided to explore the sandstone caverns in the area and vanished. One child survived and told a terrifying tale about small old men with beards who killed his three friends and chased him. The petrified child stumbled over human bones in the caves and finally managed to scramble through an opening to the surface as a hand was grabbing at his ankle. The authorities were concerned because a number of people had gone missing in the area near the cave entrances. Two heavily armed soldiers descended into the caverns with torches and claimed that they not only found a heap of human bones, they also found the ruins of an ancient church of some unknown denomination. The interior of the church was lit by three large candles and grotesque gargoyles formed part of an altar. Throughout the exploration of the underground, the soldiers said they felt as if they were being watched, and also heard voices speaking in an unknown language. One report said that a child’s head was found in a cave, along with evidence of cannibalism. After a second investigation, the caves either collapsed or gunpowder was used to seal them, and so the riddle of the underground church of Crank Caverns remains unsolved.

GAJ

Mr Muscle
28DL Full Member
All folklore & knowing the way info about this place spread amongst us kids way way before the internet this would be a scare story to keep young folk like me at the time out. Didn't work, & we used to camp out in there with a few brave(ish) ventures inside with really shitty late 80s torches.

GAJ

Mr Muscle
28DL Full Member
Oh, if you want some other folklore, go find the cavern in Dean Wood that isn't mentioned anywhere online. Saw the tiny entrance walking there, which is a very pretty walk btw, but never crawled inside. It may be just a hollow, but there was a constant flow of fresh water from the rocks above it so you never know. Could also be a local myth that it went anywhere, but go check it out sometime :thumb

Morrisey

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Oh, if you want some other folklore, go find the cavern in Dean Wood that isn't mentioned anywhere online. Saw the tiny entrance walking there, which is a very pretty walk btw, but never crawled inside. It may be just a hollow, but there was a constant flow of fresh water from the rocks above it so you never know. Could also be a local myth that it went anywhere, but go check it out sometime :thumb

Checked it out a good few years back, very old workings, plenty of water but all collapsed.

]
2w.jpg
[/IMG]

3w.jpg

GAJ

Mr Muscle
28DL Full Member
Good stuff :thumb

Always wondered if it was anything as it was one of those places where every kid had an older brother who knew someone that had walked for miles in there armed only with a bike light. Didn't realise it would be that flooded though but couldn't really see very far in with the torches of the day.