real time web analytics
Report - - Crank Caverns - Merseyside - Apr 15 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Crank Caverns - Merseyside - Apr 15

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

T-Dawg

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This was my first time at Crank Caverns and I really enjoyed it! There were two different parts of the caverns, each with caves extending further underground. I didn't venture into the "mouse hole" due to being underdressed but I definitely plan on getting lost in their some time in the future.

The official name for Crank Caverns is Rainford Delph Quarries, which were believed to be used to quarry sandstone as early as 1730. After the cost of buying land to continue quarrying increased, they went for a different approach. Instead of quarrying the stone they mined it which resulted in the network of caves we have today.

While there I spoke to a local man who was there with his kids and he told me about the mouse hole - a cave which went on for miles, with all sorts of myths about it. The network of caves had previously been blocked off by gates which are now open. When having a look at the entrance to the cave I noticed a couple of pieces of string tied to the gates which trailed off into the caves so someone wouldn't get lost.

Lighting on some of the pics kinda sucks and it was quite a dull day too but here's the pics. Kinda pic heavy.

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

Thanks for looking!

H.Darby

28DL Member
28DL Member
Awesome report, ive been going these ways for years, explored every nook and cranny of this location :) returning twice this week,to take friends for the mooch =)

Lavino

28DL Full Member
didn't venture into the "mouse hole" due to being underdressed but I definitely plan on getting lost in their some time in the future.

You won't get lost it isn't that big if you follow it around it brings you back to where you started. Just make sure you take a torch and a spare in just in case :thumb