real time web analytics
Report - - Crescent Corridor, Bolton - May 2017 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Crescent Corridor, Bolton - May 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

moako

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Getting to the outfall of this CSO was a bit tricky. Having found the area above, there didn't appear to be any easy way down due to the steep drop to the river bank. Anyhow there was an easy way into the river quite a bit further downstream, so from there I waded my way back up to the outfall. This took a bit of patience but for the most part was reasonably straight forward.

Getting through the grille of the concrete outfall was a tight squeeze.

747f64.jpg

About 15 metres through some 5' (approx) RCP is a small chamber where the tunnel changes to an RCP half-pipe, about 6' tall.

13d8960.jpg

19f026f.jpg

This continues on for about 200 metres or so, curving to the right, leading to the overflow chamber.

25d6a31.jpg

281a1ba.jpg

31dfed7.jpg

3485cf2.jpg

This appears to be a final overflow for one of the main interceptor sewers before making its way to the treatment works.

357d5f1.jpg

A higher level within the chamber gives access to a penstock control. This level can be accessed from below however it would mean pushing up an iron manhole cover, & I didn't want to stay in here for too long due to the poor air quality.

43935e6.jpg

49d0c53.jpg

From here I made my way back to the outfall.

5218aa6.jpg

55d3bbe.jpg

588bb43.jpg

619540e.jpg

64549af.jpg

Last edited:

concreteJungle

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Good work. I looked around there a while back but was put off by the locked lids and seemingly narrow bars of the grill.

I wonder what constraints led to the peculiar half pipe.

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeah, I have never seen that half pipe set up anywhere before. Thanks for explaining the reason behind it Ojay.