real time web analytics
Report - - Crich Quarry, Derbyshire December 2018 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Crich Quarry, Derbyshire December 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
I have very fond childhood memories of being on holiday in the Peak District and visiting the Crich Tramway Museum located next to here, thinking it was bloody marvellous. Of course back then in the late 1990s this quarry was very much still in use!

Fast forward a couple of decades and in the dying light of a chilly December day I found myself back at the Tramway Museum once again, but this time with a completely different objective in mind - the rock crusher in the quarry. I had been meaning to see it for ages, however never found the right time and someone then told me it was demolished so I scrubbed it from my map, until Mikeymutt went a while back and it went straight back on!

There isn't much detail about this place readily available however it was last used by Bardon Aggregates who closed it in 2010 after finding the limestone was contaminated with a substance that turned it a funny colour, and it never reopened.

Myself and @Landie_Man were rushing around here trying to get to as much as we could before it got too dark, which was quite fun. We couldn't get up one part of it because of the amount of water standing around the base of the crusher but other than that it was fine.

46276620871_d018893500_b.jpg

45364011755_59262c2701_b.jpg

46276620541_1989f0ffa7_b.jpg

44459887450_df501cdfd6_b.jpg

46276620401_0f5ae18229_b.jpg

46276627371_6f3c7a2c1e_b.jpg

31337974317_519fe6129e_b.jpg

31337973667_c7bdf7edac_b.jpg

44459887910_839cb7648d_b.jpg

44459887630_4bf5c0f3dc_b.jpg

44459887200_25b5e8d39a_b.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

raisinwing

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nicely done, had a bit of a nosey here when visiting the tramway museum a couple of years ago.

I do always like a quarry, and you got some nice shots!

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I have very fond childhood memories of being on holiday in the Peak District and visiting the Crich Tramway Museum located next to here, thinking it was bloody marvellous. Of course back then in the late 1990s this quarry was very much still in use!

Haha, that's exactly how I ended up here a couple of years back! I remember thinking how much smaller the quarry was than my childhood memories suggested it would be...

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Someone once commented on here that Rolls Royce used to bury their nasty stuff here but that's the only place I've heard it.
Was that mine (?) entrance doable that was mentioned a month or so ago?

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Someone once commented on here that Rolls Royce used to bury their nasty stuff here but that's the only place I've heard it.
Was that mine (?) entrance doable that was mentioned a month or so ago?

There was an entrance to some underground workings that you walk past near the crusher however it's got a solid sheet of steel across the whole opening.

Wheaters

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I used to be a member of the Peak District Mines Historical Society (gave up because all of the interesting meetings and visits were in the week at times when I couldn't ever attend).

I did get to see part of Crich quarry (not this bit). I was pleased to see it because I was born and raised on Crich Lane, a few miles south of Crich itself. The chap from the PDMHS who took us in there told us to look out for interesting stones. I found a chunk of purple coloured quartz. He said it was Blue John but not to try and tell them up at Castleton because they claim the Blue John Cavern is the only place you can find it. ;)

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Yea, I'm 5 minutes away from castleton, they guard it like it's the exlicior of life lol.
We used to go pick it up off the floor of the caves when we were kids lol.

Who has read this thread (Total: 184) View details