Web
Analytics
Report - - Crimble Mill - Rochdale (July 2017) | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Crimble Mill - Rochdale (July 2017)

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
Crimble mill was built in the 19th century, is a grade II listed building and has been given a category C priority by English Heritage, in January 1995 Rochdale Council’s own buildings at risk register also classified the mill’s condition as “poor”.
The original cotton mill was built in c1829 for Charles Stott. The land was owned by the Kenyon family in 1761 who had a water powered fulling mill on the site. Charles Stott built the present mill for cotton spinning and in the 1850s it was converted to the latest invention steam power.
In 1859 the Kenyons bought the mill back. The site is special for the continuity of occupation by the Kenyon firm.Following the cotton famine (4 years) when supplies of raw cotton were not available due to the American Civil War, the mill was converted into an integrated woollen plant. In 1924 a detached engine and boiler house were built.
In 1970 the Kenyons left and the premises were taken over by Roeacre Dyeing and Spinning. It then became a bleach works.

Visited with @host and @Cloth Head

crim.jpg
crim2.jpg
crim8.jpg
crim9.jpg
crim11.jpg
crim12.jpg
crim13.jpg
crim14.jpg
crim15.jpg
crim16.jpg
crim17.jpg
crim18.jpg
crim22.jpg
crim23.jpg
crim25.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

EOA

Exploring with Bob
Regular User
I like that a lot - seems like most of the trashing has been done by nature. That little tree coming up through the floorboards is cool.

Cjurbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
this is near me and i didnt even realise lol, guna go check it out :) , another for you mate if you like mills, rook nook mill thats just at summit littlebrough, if you like i can show you around just pm me :)

MrDevla

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great set of photos, I drove through here the other week but some parts were occupied and cameras were all over the place. Good report though