real time web analytics
Report - - Crimson Hill Canal Tunnel, Near Taunton, Somerset - June 2020 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Crimson Hill Canal Tunnel, Near Taunton, Somerset - June 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
This canal tunnel has been on my sights for years, but has always been locked. In 2017 I did the Lillesdon Canal Tunnel, on the same unused canal and just a couple of miles away (report somewhere in here). In March I got a message that the gate was no longer locked - but then we all know what happened next. For me that meant working every day for weeks and weeks. Well lockdown has eased and I am now starting to get days off from work. Although worringly my place of work (a government department) has contingency plans to restart the hard-lockdown regime again from August, Do they know something we don't? Anyways with a rare day off here we go...

HISTORY

The 1800 yard Crimson Hill Canal Tunnel lies on the Chard canal which was one of last main line canals to be constructed. A 13.5-mile tub-boat (rectangular craft designed to carry cargo as part of a train of similar vessels) canal with inclined planes and 3 tunnels.

Authorised by an Act of 1834, open to Ilminster in 1841 and to Chard in 1842. It carried traffic until 1867 when it was bought by the Bristol and Exeter Railway and closed.

The Chard Canal was the last of the main English canals and technically one of the most advanced, yet it never paid its way and was closed within 25 years of its opening. There were tunnels at Ilminster, at Curry Mallet through Crimson Hill and at Lillesdon and the four inclines were at Ilminster, Wrantage, Thornfalcon and Chard. The incline at Chard was a single track incline, the only one in Britain. A tub-boat was fastened onto a strong carriage mounted on two pairs of wheels, one pair smaller than the other, to keep it level. This was pulled up the incline, on rails, by a rope, which broke so frequently it was soon replaced by a wire cable, powered by a water turbine. At the apex of the incline the carriage ran down a short reverse slope, using a different pair of wheels, on the same axle as the smaller pair, on a special set of rails, to keep the boat reasonably level. The only lock was near to Bere Mills Covert and there were aqueducts at Wrantage, Ruishton and Creech St Michael. There were also two wharfs serving Ilminster.

The estimated cost in 1834 was £57,000 . The terminus of the canal at Chard was on the site of the present flour mill occupied by B.G Wyatt Ltd.

During the Second World War, the line of the Chard Canal, together with the Bridgwater and Taunton Canal and the River Axe, became a major defence line in the South West of the county to restrict Hitler’s movement should he invade. All the iron bridges, which were melted down for the war effort, were removed and replaced with wooden structures that could be destroyed quickly. Pill boxes and tank traps, which can still be seen in places on the canal, were built along the whole length of the defence line.

1. Crimson Hill itself can be seen from the road through the village of Wrantage
50092030466_c70e56cecc_b.jpg

2. There is little evidence of the existance of the canal in the area, it being drained. However in the village can be seen the remains of the aquaduct that carried the canal over the road. The village pub is still called The Canal Inn.
50091973756_28bc1d268a_b.jpg

3. This gate is no longer locked, for many months now. The water is just a few inches deep but the mud is a couple of feet deep, making wading tricky. For this I used an inflatable canoe.
50092025686_a9798d1546_b.jpg

4. First view in
50092021576_86d36bb472_b.jpg

5. From previous reports, from about 10 years ago, I knew that there is a rock fall about half through the tunnel
50092250727_cf90d03ce0_b.jpg

6. About 800m in and just before the rock fall. The water had as good as disppeared here, and wading through the knee-deep mud was the only way. The tunnel widens here as a boat passing place.
50091429268_0c88d08327_b.jpg

7. I was accompanied by my son, who still hasn't mastered the art of standing still for a photograph
50091424638_e75b810bba_b.jpg

8. And the roof-fall. It is possible to climb over that fall, and progress is possible in deeper water on the other side. But not done on this occassion as the roof is very dodgy on that side. See Styru's 2010 report for what is on the other side.
50092237687_34b17d3fe3_b.jpg

9. A few pics of the return journey
50092212227_a43264c274_b.jpg

50092233077_140756bf00_b.jpg

50091412163_ee7c8df84f_b.jpg

50092224467_4f720e74e9_b.jpg

50092219842_61f8a80991_b.jpg

14. All that remained now was for the wife to drag all the gear back to the car - cheers huns!
50092216547_3120a80a42_b.jpg

Thanks for reading

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Lovely stuff. Forgotten history, I bet half the locals dont know why the Pubs called that. Great shots. Your boy did good. Looks like a fun explore.:thumb

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Thats cool!

I'm sure the contingency plans are just that, a plan in case things do go to shit later this summer - lets hope they aren't needed.

Tim whitehead

28DL Member
28DL Member
I did this tunnel from both ends before the passing place caved in. The cave in is infact the air shaft falling in. It had timbers across its bottom holding back the infill. These rotted and the infill came down. The top of the air shaft above ground is covered by a huge metal plate in a dip in a field. The tunnel walls at the south end of the tunnel are blue lias which has degraded faster than the stone in the north end. The tunnel south of the passing place has multiple failures and one complete blockage. I boated to the other side of the blockage as the entrance was opened up in a back garden. Theres plenty more info for those who are interested.

Who has read this thread (Total: 256) View details