real time web analytics
Report - - Crisp Delph sandstone mine, March 2017 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Crisp Delph sandstone mine, March 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
It has been a while since I have posted on 28 for a while for all sorts of busy life reasons but I still clock in every day to keep up to date, but after logging in a few weeks ago I happened to see a report from this place and decided that I had to see it, so a big Thanks to Morrisey for providing no nonsense details and for hooking me up with Willknot for a visit, a few phonecalls later and we were on our way to this amazing sandstone mine.

I do not know much about Crisp Delph but we happened upon an old bloke in the woods who lived in the bungalow that backs onto the quarry, he told us some amazing story about a company called Finch who illegally quarried the the Sandstone from Crisp Delph and where only stopped when a resident started legal proceedings to put an end to the plundering, yes this was in the early 1900's and he was quoting from memories that were told to him by his own grandad.

Upon entering you are immediatly on an incline that opens up from a crawl to a full on chamber that has jenga type concrete supports right up to the roof.

34318632354_3c5c17f1ff_o.jpg

It looks like massive jenga
34353884033_4df640382f_o.jpg

Once your eyes adjust and you get your bearings, you realise that these supports are holding up the entire hillside that you had crossed to get in.
Willknot here linin up a money shot...check those roof supports!
http://s128.photobucket.com/user/paulc_2007/media/crisp delph sandstone mine/300_5773.jpg.html
35163725905_dab8abac66_o.jpg

I am not gonna lie, There were parts in here that had me shitting myself as I passed under them, basically the roof was seriously shonkey in parts and some of the collapses were recent.
34777126760_3293de519c_o.jpg

This was the first time that I had used my camera since rebiuiding my lens and I just had to take some twat dash shots, i must say however tha it was a refreshing change from filming and taking pictures on my mobile phone.
Me...check that roof
34353872863_5c1bd9cd0c_o.jpg

me again...those concrete supports!!

I was quietly having a little sex wee at this point :)
34998655752_b6257ed1dc_o.jpg

the workings went for about 2km into the next village, we saw the passageway but gave it a swerve because Willknots Mrs had made a fish pie for tea and my Mrs had a Shepherds pie in the oven and we know were our bread is buttered :)
View attachment 723296

I took 10 gazillion photos here and they are all my faves but just look at this.
34998653802_2bc07af6b9_o.jpg

34353874613_978037d8b6_o.jpg

Despite being a little apprehensive about the condition of the roof in parts I felt priviliged to see this georgous place and thanks to Morrisey and Willknot for the info and good company :)

Last edited:

Raz

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good job mate! If it was last weekend I must of missed you as I popped my head in :) took a while to remove and then put back all the bits of wood and broken asbestos!

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
You said it mate, Wow, just wow!

Those ceilings though, and I thought I'd been in some dodgy places recently.